Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 06-15-2004

Talking Finally figured out Back to Black, but now, which protectant?

Sunday I thought I'd take the directions on BTB literally. That is I'd "Let dry," not let it dry for about 15 to 20 minutes, but just let it dry, no matter how long it took. Well, about 6 to 8 hours later, no joke, there were still some wettish spots on the black painted metal trim, but the plastic and rubber looked better than they have ever looked before, and I figured that I'd left it long enough. The uneveness that appears right after application seems to level itself out given time. The buffing was much easier too. The results look great, and best of all:

****NO RUNNING or STREAKING****

and it did rain, more like poured, about 30 min after I was done with the car. Got rained on the next day and overnight last night, still NO RUNS!!!

I had read the post about using protectant over the BTB, but all I had on hand was Vinylex, and when I tried to apply it the cloth I was using turned very, very black. So I figured I'd better ask here about the compaibility of Vinylex with BTB before I went any farther with it. The Mother's protectant is hard to find here, so can I use the Vinylex?
Old 06-15-2004
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: Finally figured out Back to Black, but now, which protectant?

The blackness is likely old oxidation being removed by your rubbing application.

The vinyl dressing you have is a quality product,, and can be used in a pinch, if you can't find ours....
Old 10-18-2004

Does anyone in the Toronto, Ontario area know where Preserves Protectant is sold or how it can be ordered? Although I haven't had any serious problems, I presently using Back to Black as my vinyl dressing because I want to stay with Mothers products but I can't find Preserves Protectant at the usual retailers. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-18-2004

I'm not in the Toronto area, but Canadian Tire sells Preserves, as does PartSource (IIRC). I know Zeller's carries a fair bit of the Mothers line, but don't remember seeing Preserves. (I do remember noticing they carried the Glaze, but no pure wax! Only the cleaner wax! )
As to online ordering, there are many places. Rather than list the ones I know of, I'll just direct you to the left of the screen and to the link labelled "retailers." There you can see some online vendors, as well as other Canadian retailers that carry some part of the Mothers line. No guarantees as to which products, though.
Old 10-18-2004

Talking Re: Finally figured out Back to Black, but now, which protectant?

Thanks for your advice. Now that I know Canadian Tire does carry Preserves I'll see if they can order it to a store location near me.
Closed Thread