97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like

tires don`t like my tire dressing?

About 4 months ago I bought 4 new cooper tires for my Z71. I washed the tires with soap and water like I always do before applying 303. I noticed that in certain spots it looks blotchy like the tire didn`t absorb the dressing. If I rub my finger over the area it`s fine and the blotch disappears. Mind you I have never had this problem with any other tire maker before as 303 and any other product I used seemed to absorb nicely into the tire. I thought that maybe it might be the 303, so I went out and bought meguiar`s endurance and armor all. Same results with both of these products. So, it must be the tire? But I still don`t understand why this would be happening. Even to this day my tires will look kind of blotchy looking if I apply a tire dressing unless I really work it in with my fingers. I even called cooper and they couldn`t tell me anything.
    "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

Post Thanks / Like
    Try using a degreaser first and scrub it with a brush and then rinse. Apply your tire dressing with a foam applicator then let it sit for 10 minutes or so. Then use a towel to buff off the excess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting delema, let us know how it turns out for you. :angry
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    early stages of dry rot??

Boss_429
    Every once in a while, you need to give the tires a good thorough cleaning/scrubbing with a fairly strong cleaner. After that, a mild cleaning should allow your protectants to adhere to the surface better. Still, water based products usually don`t last long.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve noticed certain brands of tires hold dressings better than others. Coopers have never held a dressing very good for me. I think it has to do with the hardness of the compound. Michelins hold dressing very good, but the rubber is also soft. Coopers seem to have a harder compound.
    Teflon is for frying pans.

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by brianjake99
    early stages of dry rot??
    I doubt it. No indication of this on the tire.

SHOTIME, you`ve had this problem as well huh? Did you just live with it? If this is the case I will never buy coopers again!
    "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if it has to do with the mold release chemicals? :dunno but if it does Boss probably gave you the solution ...
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Give Westleys Bleech Wite a try on the tires to deep clean them. Keep it off the rims.. Spray on the tires .. let it soak inthe aggitate with a stiff brush then rinse.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    i went through this recently .i was using solvent based dressing and it was building up and wouldnt stay on the tires so i got some heavy duty cleaner and scrubbed them real good. then i switched back to water based dressing. i detail my truck so much some of this stuff just builds up and needs to be removed every now and then
    back in buisness baby

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same experience the other day with a 94 geo tracker I did the other day. The tires were original and are showing signs of dry rot. I cleaned with meguiars hot wheels and dressed when dry. The dressing did look blotchy so I figured that they were not clean enough. So I hit them with full strength castrol super clean and a brush and the dressing adhered nicely.

I just went out to my Trans Am and just nocked the dirt off the tires and dressed without cleaning and they took the dressing fine. I have the BFG Drag radials which has a very soft compound. So maybe the compound of the tire does make a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Periodically I will wash my tires with stong cleaner. I usually use Simple Green straight for this. Then I dress them with Poorboys Bold N Bright. Great look, no streaks etc. I apply the BnB with an old wash mitt.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Thread Information