Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Product odors?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Product odors?

A recent thread about the smell of a product made me get to thinking. (Boy, that hurts)
    How many of you feel that the smell of products is any factor in your use of that product?

Other than 4 Star Leather Conditioner, I don`t think I have ever paid any attention to how the product smells in use.
    There have been several posts about good and bad odors of various products and unless I actually sniff the container, I never notice the smell. 303 and Klasse AIO are a couple that I remember reading about having a bad smell. I can`t say that I ever paid any attention and couldn`t even describe their odor. I do remember an early try of Zymol that had a very coconut smell, but that`s about the only wax/sealant/polish I even remember what it smelled like.
    Maybe my sniffer is broken.
    :dunno
    Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    "maybe my sniffer is broken"

I`m with you Charles I don`t pay much attention to it either. I`m more into what the product is doing and what results I`m geting. I have to say that the first time I used Klasse, it smelled like someone cut some cheese

The wax that I recently got which I think you are talking about, you can`t help but notice this one.

Some of the Megs line up has a really chemical smell to me almost toxic
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Obsessive Compulsive Detailer Jngrbrdman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the smell is a big factor. I`ve had people call me and ask me to come back and redo their leather simply because the smell was starting to fade and they loved it so much. I think the smell of the leather conditioner is a great idea that 4 Star had that will make people care for their leather frequently like they should if for no other reason than they like the smell. Then you have products like Lexol, that may work great, but smell like crap. Who wants to get into a freshly detailed car that stinks? I think product smell is definitely a factor.

NXT smells great. The Pinnacle waxes smell even better. S100 and P21S smell kind of blah, but that`s ok. They don`t have an offensive smell so I`ll keep using them. Zymol Vintage smells like crayons. Wolfgang smells like cologne. UPP smells great. I really like the smell of Poorboy`s S&W. 4 Star Gloss Enhancer is one of my favorite smells. That and their spray wax smell incredible. I love the smell of my garage after I use those products.

We know that smell is the strongest sense connected to memory. The scent industry is bigger than you could even imagine. If you want to make a zillion dollars then create a new smell that people like. Either make it a perfume or a deoderant or an air freshener or something like that. If you can create a smell that reminds people of good times then they will buy it over and over again to relive those memories. I think the new car smell of leather is what keeps 4 Star`s leather conditioner selling so well. It reminds people of the feeling of a new car. Liquid Souveran reminds me of being a kid and going out for milk shakes with my little brother. It looks great on the car, but I enjoy the memory the smell brings back even better. I doubt I would like LS as much if it wasn`t so nostalgic for me. In fact, one of the things that has kept me from using Zaino is the fact that the QD smells like cough syrup and reminds me of being sick as a kid. Not good memories and its not surprising that I haven`t used any of the Z products because of it yet.

Anyway, that is my take on the smell thing. Its the first thing I do when I get a new product. NXT is the latest product that has impressed me. Everything in the NXT line smells great. I`m not thrilled about the greasyness of the dash protectant, but at least it smells good. Wolfgang makes my car smell like it is going out on a date. lol That isn`t so bad. Keep the smells coming, guys. I love new smells. I`m off go get some grape smelling wax now... must have must have must have must have....
    ~ ~ www.OCDetails.com ~ ~
    Faster isn`t better. BETTER is better no matter how long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Charles . . . I`m in agreement with Jngrbrdman that smell is an important factor, even in the car care industry.

In the car care products category I`d rate these as my faves...

CAR WASH - Zymol car wash (blue liguid) - best smelling stuff I`ve ever used.

LEATHER TREATMENT - Gliptone leather conditioner - makes leather nice and supple and adds a genuine leather smell. LOVELY ! (not easy to get however).

GLAZES - Vanilla Moose hands down. (although I`ve heard that recent batches no longer have that vanilla smell. I`m looking into it).

WAXES - Megs Hi-Tech Yellow (#26) wax. OH YES! Scrumptous!

If there are other great smells out there let me know !

Where did my title go? 00Ranger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dr Groove
    Try Poorboy`s Spray&Wipe and Natual Look....they smell like cool aid
    NXT..smells yummy

I need more sugar!!!!!! KleanFreak's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    DACP SMELLS YUMMY AND GLIPTONE`S TRUE BLUE TIRE SHINE IS LIKE CANDY I JUST WANNA EAT IT
    picture perfect auto detailing
    "we put the cherry back in your car"
    detailingisthegame@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    "Wolfgang makes my car smell like it is going out on a date"

I will have to agree, I think they might need to change the scent
    NXT..smells yummy

Post Thanks / Like
    KleanFreak - What the H is that avatar? have you had that long? How have I missed that?

On topic - I would not have picked product smell as an important factor to me if you gave me a list and said pick the 3 most important factors. But more and more I find that I notice it. And go figure, the products i like the best all have pleasant smells to me ... things tht make you go hmmm.....
    Fasten Your Seat Belt! It helps keep the aliens from sucking you out of the car.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Dr Groove
    Charles . . . I`m in agreement with Jngrbrdman that smell is an important factor, even in the car care industry.

Hey I agree on the power and importance of smell in the world. It`s just that of the products I use regularly, the only one that really stands out is the leather conditioner. In the right concentration APC+ is not too pleasant. Beyond that, I can`t even remember what Meg`s #9, MPPP, NXT Tech Wax, FI, FD, Poorboy`s PP, PwC, S&W, Klasse AIO, 4 Star UPP, UGE, SEC, S100, 303 smell like. I guess I just don`t pay that much attention.

If there are other great smells out there let me know !

Women!!!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by dalmore
    KleanFreak - What the H is that avatar? have you had that long? How have I missed that?
    I think it is the Whaler with clothes.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it sniffed to much DACP
    NXT..smells yummy

Post Thanks / Like
    To me it depends on where product is being used. If it an interior product such a carpet cleaner, leather conditioner or interior dressing, then smell is important because this is something that the cstomer will probably notice. If it`s an exterior product such as a wash, polish, wax or sealant, I don`t care. But I do have to admit there are some nice smelling tire dressings. I like the smell of Natural Look on the interior so I apply a fair amount to door panels so the customer will smell while getting into the car.

I use a leather conditioner from a company called 3D international. Their leather conditioner comes in gallon sizes and its pretty thick so I can massage it into the leather and then buff with microfiber. It leaves the car smelling like leather, similar to Platinum. I do use the Platinum leather conditioner when I`m working on higher end vehicles.
    Ringo

Wherever there is a mullet... I'll be there.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW
    I think it is the Whaler with clothes.

Charles
    I keep waiting for it to explode. I`m like 5...4....3...2...1....now! ...ok, now! uhmm....now! C`mon, dude. Explode already!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smell is really important

to me - as a customer - some products like Nxt Tech Wax - that smell I absolutley cannot stand it make me nauseaous. Gold Class Vinyl protectant has a fake leather smell that is very overpowering and again makes me ill - 4* leather cleaner has just the right amount and make is smell like the day I got it - 4* car wash is like crack - I am addicted - PB natural look is yummy - Meg`s Quik Detailer has a good fruity smell ...

since i only do my car (and a few guinea pi..er friends) the smell is important to me as a consumer.
    You have activated my special ability....

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, how long is this odor a factor?

For instance, the 4 Star Leather Conditioner lasts a week or two and I would agree that it has a good smell. (The smell of a sample I received was the reason I ordered it.)

The more or less objectionable smell of APC+ seems to be gone in a matter of hours, maybe less.

The smell of most other products would seem likely to be pretty well gone in a short time, too. As I said, during actual use, I don`t even notice the smell of most products.

Charles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information