Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Since we are on the topic of engines....

I didn`t have much work going on today so I thought I would take a few snaps of my engine and write a little on how I clean them.

I have been asked a few questions regarding engine cleaning from another thread and instead of always being reminded of that thread I figured I would start a new one and we can forget about the other one.

First thing I do is warm up the engine for a few minutes.

I then get all my stuff together, which includes Simple Green as my main cleaner but if things get real tough I`ll use Hi-Temps engine cleaner. I also use several diferent types of brushes, both soft and bristle plus the EZ Motorcycle Detail brush from Top of the Line.

Spray the surrounding paint down with water, and the glass, and then spray Simple Green or the degreaser of your choice, on the lower portions of the engine. If it evaporates very quickly then you got the engine too hot. Let it cool a few minutes then re-apply the degreaser. I then take the EZ Detail Brush and work it as far down in the nooks and crannies as I can. This brush is cool because you can twist and bend it in all sorts of directions to get into odd places. The only draw back is the splatter it creates and you draw it back so be watchful for that.

I then lightly mist off those area and if needed I might have to use my steam vapor cleaner on the tough spots or heavy grime build up. Next spray the top portion sof the engine and work loose all the dirt and grime. As you brush the hoses and stuff you should see a brown sludge coming off the hoses and other areas. Don`t let this stuff sit and dry as it will streak your engine and when it dries you`ll scratch your head wondering if you cleaned that area or not, so rinse it off well.

I use a very soft flagged brush for the metal work around the engine bay. Spray the Simple Green on the damp brush and work it around the painted areas. I then rinse off the whole engine plus the metal areas and I then usually rinse off the sound deadening material if needed. Be careful with this stuff as it can easily tear or if very old crumble right before your very eyes:doh

Next comes a final rinse and then I use my electric leaf blower to dry the whole area real well. I then check my work and if needed redo an area, if not I`ll then take some towels and start drying the engine down and then spray the entire engine area with a dressing. In my case I use a water based dressing called "Super Dress It" from AutoMagic.

I allow this to sit and soak in for as long as I can, I might even warm up the engine again as this gives the dressing and very nice even sheen. My attention turns to the metal work around the engine as the dressing dries. If I have to I`ll use something like DACP, Light Cut or Vanilla Moose depending on the paints condition. For newer cars Poly Spray by Hi-Temp works awesome!

A final buffing of the engine with a sponge lightly spayed with dressing and we are done.

The first picture is of Simple Green, a steel brush, a soft flagged bristle brush, toothbrush and the EZ Detail brush.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The Art & Science of Auto Detail"

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the engine BEFORE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another BEFORE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Now an AFTER shot from the same angle as the first BEFORE:

Post Thanks / Like
    An AFTER shot from the center. The pics are a bit dark because of the storm clouds rolling in, in fact it`s raining here right now as I type.

Post Thanks / Like
    looks great..great...didn;t you cover some electrical areas before rinsing??
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony,
    Thanks for the how-to. I will be trying this out soon.

Nice work. You could adjust the balance levels of your after pics.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff,

Honestly I have never once covered anything on any engine I have detailed and I have never had any problems, go figure

Eric,

I just got a new digi-cam and still need to figure out how to best use it. It was already getting dark by the time I took the AFTER pics. Not sure what went wrong with the flash:huh

Thanks for the thumbs up

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony,
    What kind of camera did you purchase?

I am looking at the pictures on another computer and the after picture are better. Different monitor and video card. what do I know.

Jeff,
    Engines are built water tight and to keep the environment out. I would cover things if you have an older car, an engine which leaks, or for personal mental well being. I would not hold the hose over the alternator, battery or coil packs for long periods, just enough to rinse, because you will be turning the engine on and uing towels to dry the engine and compartment. I do not speak form experience, just my opinion.

Eric
    Have you AIO`d today?
    Done, or Done right? You decide.
    Score early, Score often.
    You can not win from the penalty box.
    You can not score from the penalty box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eric,

I bought a Nikon CoolPix 3100 @ 3.2 megapixels

I will also be getting a Minolta 35mm SLR in the near future and will use that for finished work also as the quality is better for print photos.

Anthony

Post Thanks / Like

Engine Detailing ...

Outstanding write up Anthony !!! This post alone will answer many questions about engine detailing that many less experienced detailers have, and even the more experienced detailers will compare their method of attack with yours. As always the pics are also outstanding. It sure is a pleasure reading and seeing your threads here at DC !!!

:beer
    No buff to tuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, O Man! That engine looks great Anthony.

Your article (actually the pictures) is very helpful. For people like myself, who are not detailers but just wanting/learning to better care for their cars, this article (again, it was the pictures) really helps. I honestly didn`t know a dirty, dusty lookin` engine could look so nice again.
    [ 2001 Cobra ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Clean Dean and Motorcity,

Thanks for the positive feedback and I am glad that my article and/or pics may help out in yours or anothers engine detailing:headbang

Anthony

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Somebody attach this to the whole Detailing Tips thing. This needs to be saved, seriously.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awsome the Dressing looks good. Engine compartment is supposed to look natrual not greasy just like you did it great work.
    www.exotiXboard.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information