Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite wax system?
Reflections Car Wax and Top Coat 12 14.29%
FX Synwax 8 9.52%
PowerPolish and PowerWax 3 3.57%
California Gold Ultimate Wax System - 1. PreWax Cleaner 2. Sealer & Glaze 3. Pure Carnauba Wax 36 42.86%
California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax 7 8.33%
I prefer to mix and match and create my own preferred wax system! 18 21.43%
California Gold Synthetic Wax! 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 Page 1 of 2   1   2 >

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 12-30-2008
Administrator

Default Your Favorite Wax System

Hello all,

What works best for you? Do you use Mothers specific to the product lines or do you mix and match?

Please include your reasons as well. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2008

Default Re: Your Favorite Wax System

I've mixed and matched Mothers products depending on the situation and mood.

When I do some polishing, I frequently use the Powerpolish and Reflections Car Wax and Top Coat. On the other hand, in between polishing sessions, I regularly use the California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax underneath the Reflections Top Coat (It would be better if the Reflections Car Wax were a true cleaner wax though).

Last edited by jonjon_u; 12-31-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-30-2008

Luckily for me, I find there is no need to experiment on my own car.
The only combination I have not used of the above is the Power Polish option, and I haven't used Top Coat over anything.

Admitted, the cars I work on are different colours, but probably more by fluke than anything, I settled on what I think is the correct product for each of them. The only one I would consider changing would be the Reflections on the white car for the Carnauba Cleaner Wax on the light blue/silver. The bright yellow really stands out with the FX Synwax.

Our own car is a dark blue, and on that I use the Ultimate System exclusively, and that's why I selected that to vote for. It adds real depth of shine. The first couple of times you use it, that word depth really means little, but once you know what you are looking AT, (not for) that word depth becomes less esoteric and you actually see what it means.
That first full application is the longest, but after that, it is deceptively easy to maintain, so that is where I would urge those willing to try it to not hesitate because of the time factor involved, because after using it, you'll see why those who do use it say they would not go back.

Also, and this is a bit of a novelty of the reverse kind I guess.
A welcome from a member to Neisan M as a new Admin guy.
Now, what sort of tricky questions can I find. Nyuk nyuk nyuk!
Welcome.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.

Last edited by TonyfromOz; 12-30-2008 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Added welcome.
Old 12-30-2008

For me it depends on how much time I have, and the mood im in. I basically use the carnauba cleaner wax and then a coat of pure carnauba wax for extra protection. If I have no time limit then I use the 3 step system with a coat of spray wax to make sure I cover every inch of the paint.
Old 12-31-2008

UWS for me... be only when I have the time!
Old 12-31-2008

FX Line works great for me!

Stocktasticgtidarkkkksig by edward.farmer, on Flickr

2010 Volkswagen GTI

DSG | Huffs | Interlagos Plaid
Old 12-31-2008

If I picked one LSP it would be Reflections. Top Coat adds durability but it does change the look of Reflections (less gloss for more depth). The regular version and the spray wax version (as Mr. Chemist says "has legs") are dependable on any color.

I know some are lured by new instant detailers but Reflections Spray Wax or even FX Spray do better than any detailer/gloss enhancer in terms of adding gloss, slickness, and more longevity at the same price.
Old 01-06-2009
Administrator

I guess we have been remiss in introducing Neisan -- he's a relatively new member of our team of chemists, having joined us last summer.

Welcome, Neisan!
Old 01-07-2009
Administrator

Thank you for the welcome folks!

I have been monitoring the forum for months and was curious of the preferred wax system of our consumers. I think it is essential to understand your concerns, problems, likes and dislikes to properly evaluate our products and to consider the development of new.

Thank you all for your contributions to this forum. We are here to help the best we can and do appreciate the sharing of your experiences.

Old 02-08-2009

I have to say I've moved on from Mothers in the last year to try other products. I've gone beyond covering swirls and scratches to wet sanding with Megs Uni-grit or 3M Trizact and then compounding with either M105 or Menz's Powergloss, and using 106FF and PO8RD. I still top now and again with Mothers Top Coat but that is for a normal wash and wax. Generally I use a sealant like Opti-seal or Wolfgang, or UPGP.

Reflections Top Coat, but have replaced most products with either a APC, or polish instead of covering problems and repairing them.
Old 02-08-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrengle View Post
I have to say I've moved on from Mothers in the last year to try other products. I've gone beyond covering swirls and scratches to wet sanding with Megs Uni-grit or 3M Trizact and then compounding with either M105 or Menz's Powergloss, and using 106FF and PO8RD. I still top now and again with Mothers Top Coat but that is for a normal wash and wax. Generally I use a sealant like Opti-seal or Wolfgang, or UPGP.

Reflections Top Coat, but have replaced most products with either a APC, or polish instead of covering problems and repairing them.
I do not think Mothers should be labeled as just for "covering problems". The use of Mothers is not an excuse to not having the paint in top condition using correction techniques (wet sanding, polishing, etc) to achieve the maximum gloss.

The LSP's like Top Coat, SynWax, etc. should stand on their own merit against other LSP's. Opti-seal will not be much better on paint that is heavily swirled, oxidized, etc.

There are Mothers users that use correction products (I use more than one brand) but they just do not get discussed here. The marketing message is slightly different at correction product seller who obviously are trying to sell correction products at every opportunity.

The Mothers marketing style is different but I do not think it is because they think that people should not do correction.
Old 02-08-2009

Sorry didn't mean as a shot on Mothers. Still like their Top Coat for a LSP. I just find that they don't have as much stuff to do what I like with polishing, and correction.

Also I prefer the longevity of sealants and such now, as much as I like washing and waxing my car I find that time for my own car is getting more and more sparse as I take care of more for friends, family, and a few clients when I'm home and not out on the road for work too.

Top Coat on top of Wolfgang's Deep Gloss Paint Sealant looks great though. Get that nice pop that a sealant provides, and the nice deep look that a carnauba gives.
Old 02-08-2009

My choice still varies from car to car.

My daughter's '99 GTP (140,000+ miles) gets Reflections. Sometimes - like right after Christmas - just by hand, other times with a PC.

My wife's '07 Charger R/T gets Power Polish and Reflections.

My '05 GTO gets Power Polish and Power Wax.

'15 Dodge Challenger SRT - B5 Blue
'17 Dodge Durango R/T - Granite Crystal
Old 02-12-2009

At the moment, I am generally mix and match as I have accumulated and (still have) different products during my first year of learning detailing. BUT if I am doing maintenance or light detailing, it's normally the CGUWS.
Old 02-12-2009
Administrator

I suppose I can share my thoughts as well. I have the grueling luxury of having a collection of black cars. As such, I primarily prefer the Ultimate Wax System. Like many of you, I do not always have the time and sometimes revert to using the Reflections line of products.

Working with Mothers, I also have the privilege of friends and family asking me to wax their car. As such, when I am working with lighter colored cars, I prefer FX SynWax.
Old 03-10-2009

After my initial effort with FX, I can't imagine any old fart like me.....who honestly, no longer has the inclination OR energy for waxing.....using anything else beside a synthetic.

In my view, it's SO many light years beyond traditional products in terms of ease of application/removal that waxing became fun again last weekend. No question in my mind that I'll now wax more often; probably 2-3 times/year, versus my previous norm of once/year. Keeping my fingers crossed now that FX delivers the more durable, longer-lasting finish that I'm kind-of expecting.

With luck, a more proactive effort on my part with FX (in conjunction with CG Clay Bar) will dramatically reduce the amount of finish weathering I'll experience over time on my new vehicle, and largely.....if not necessarily completely.....eliminate the need for more traditional, labor-intensive cleaning products.
Old 05-11-2009

Cool Re: Your Favorite Wax System 3-Step ROCKS!

I used to use Eagle one products, and after my first time using Mothers wax, I immediately switch over to mothers. I have noticed a great shine when i use the 3 step ultimate wax system. I read a post before in the wax forum about a guy putting fx spray wax over the 3 step system and he said he noticed a huge improvement. My plan for the future is to use the clay bar system, apply paste wax instead of the liquid wax which i have been currently using and the apply fx spray wax.
Old 05-20-2009

I have a silver CRV. Im using step 2 sealer and glaze, then FX Synwax. I will use the FX spray wax for maintenance.
Old 10-08-2009

Hello,
i have virgin blue Zen Estilo, ussualy i using : -CG step1 every 3 months (with orbital machine), -CG step2 (with orbital machine), - Reflection advance car wax (by hand), and in summer i'll layering 1 more other brand wax (with PTFE, so the dust wont stick too hard in my paint). Maintaining with spraying CG showtime after washing (still wet).

all i can say is "Reflection Advance Car Wax is so elegant!!!"
Old 12-06-2009

Default Re: Your Favorite Wax System 3-Step ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXShine View Post
I used to use Eagle one products, and after my first time using Mothers wax, I immediately switch over to mothers. I have noticed a great shine when i use the 3 step ultimate wax system. I read a post before in the wax forum about a guy putting fx spray wax over the 3 step system and he said he noticed a huge improvement. My plan for the future is to use the clay bar system, apply paste wax instead of the liquid wax which i have been currently using and the apply fx spray wax.

Same here, I switched over from another brand. Glad to see someone else noticing the difference in shine. Not just me.

I just use some leftover cleaner wax from another brand, followed by step 3 pure carnuba wax.

I tired Mothers sealer once but it was a pain to wipe off after it dried.

The only thing I notice is that the pure carnuba wax was a strong oily smell to it.
Closed Thread
 Page 1 of 2   1   2 >