Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 12-06-2009

Default brand new black truck

this might sound like a newb question but i just want to clear up some things before i buy some wax.

first off i just bought a brand new 2010 black toyota tundra crew max.

its has the color matched bumpers and all. so its all black and no chrome. most of my trucks i have owned were beaters that got the job done and thats it. never washed it as it was just a work truck. as this one is not the case it is simply the new truck for me and my wife.

i want it to stay looking a deep rich black. it stays parked in the garage and the other car gets drivin to work in bad weather. the thing that worries me the most is the siderweb black cars get.

i dont mind doing a 3 step process if it is the correct thing to do.

i was looking at buying one of the mothers kits. pretty much these two.

Ultimate Wax System® Paste Deluxe Kit

or

Reflections® Double Deluxe Kit

based on what i have read so far i am going to do the two bucket method following with the clay( thats correct right.)

i keep seeing people talk about the waffle towel is that the one that is included in these kits?

also it has black cloth interior. the one kit says it comes with the leather cleaner(which i wont need.) what works the best on keeping the dash and trim inside looking good.(not wanting the interior to be greasy shiny looking.)

and any opions and suggest are greatly appreciated

thanks justin
Old 12-06-2009
Administrator

Default Re: brand new black truck

Welcome to Wax Forum!

If it looks good now, and between the two you're considering, I'd keep it simple -- and easy -- by getting the Reflections and also a PowerBall 4Paint (you can flip or wash the PowerBall 4Paint between products).

As you mentioned, 2-bucket wash, clay, apply Protectant on any trim (to keep any stray wax from sticking), then apply the polish/wax products.

Our excellent waffle-weave towels are included in our kits.

For the vinyl dash, you can use Protectant, but knock down the shine by letting it penetrate for a few minutes before wiping with a water-dampened cloth (lightly damp) for a natural shine. You could even use the Reflections Leather Care. Spray either product on an applicator or cloth -- not directly on the dash.
Old 12-06-2009

you mentioned the power ball for paint. use that to apply the wax and the top coat? or just the wax? should i get 2 seperate ones.

as a guide line with the Reflections kit how often would you wax and apply the top coat.

also i noticed there is a fx kit. whats the diff. between the fx on the Reflections.

i have heard some people talk about using a duster for inbetween washes. is it ok to use one. seems like it will cause the spiderweb effect. but i could be wrong.

thanks
Old 12-06-2009
Administrator

The PowerBall 4Paint is for wax application. You remove products with an appropriate cloth, such as one of our microfiber polishing cloths. Some products are easier removed by a quality 100% cotton terry towel, but Reflections (and FX) are fine with microfiber.

Reflections is a two-step system that provides a blend of carnauba and synthetic gloss and protection.

FX is a one-step synthetic.

Either one would be fine in your application, but you'll get some added longevity with the Reflections.

A wool duster on a wand is the new trend towards safe dusting. Mist a little Showtime Instant Detailer on it and lightly breeze over the surface as you rotate the wand. If you have any finger prints that require a towel, you just spot treat those.
Old 12-06-2009

thanks. on the two step ref. process i use the ball to apply the wax. what should i use to apply to top coat. if i use the ball do i need to use a different one?

do you guys carry a duster? and when you say showtime is that the spray wax that is included with the kit?

also how often would you rec. applying the two step reflections.

thanks
Old 12-06-2009
Administrator

The PowerBall 4Paint can be washed or simply flipped to use with two different products.

You can also use a foam or microfiber applicator to apply either product.

We do not sell a duster.

California Gold Showtime is our Instant Detailer and Clay lubricant (it's included in our clay box).

Every 4-8 weeks or as you notice a loss of gloss.

If you get either the FX or Reflections kits, they also include a corresponding spray wax that you can use after every wash to help extend the gloss and protection.
Old 12-06-2009

Congratulations on the new Tundra. That's a lot of paint real-estate. Avoid introducing fine scratches from improper washing and drying techniques. Get proper buffing and drying towels. Avoid sliding anything (fingers, towels, dusters, your clothes) on dry paint that has even the slightest dust or sand embedded on it. Wipe off bird-sh*t ASAP (using a detailing spray, of course).

The UWS is great but very time-consuming. On a new truck, I would go with the Reflections Wax and Top Coat instead. Clay-bar and UWS I do just every Spring.

Oh wow, I didn't know the eStore sold kits. Those are great! If you get the kit all you'll need are maybe extra towels.
Old 12-06-2009

do you rec. doing the clay bar now?
Old 12-06-2009

In my opinion, clay barring a brand new truck, especially a black one, might be over-doing it. I'd leave it alone til next year unless the paint was obviously neglected by the dealership. So, unless the new paint isn't smooth as it's supposed to be, I'd just wash and maintain with regular waxing until Spring comes around.
Old 12-07-2009

I like to recommend using the Pre-Wax Cleaner to be sure the paint is clean from the dealer. You can make an assessment regarding claying but just feeling the paint. Does it feel smooth?
Old 12-07-2009

feels smooth. it was only on the lot for a couple of days. it got delivered to the dealer and couple days later after they had to do the pdi and stuff i went up to pick it up. so it was not a truck that sat on the dealer lot for months.
Old 12-07-2009

i was going to get the refecltions kit. it says its a two step. does it wax have a cleaner in it or do i need to get one. and if so what one.

thanks
Old 12-07-2009

Reflections Car Wax has mild cleaners. Reflections Top Coat does not have any cleaners so it can apply over it without disturbing it. It is ideal for paint in very good condition.
Old 12-27-2009

I'm late to this dance, but if you have not already waxed the truck, I would Clay Bar it first. The clay bar will remove the surface contaminates that can get on the vehicle in transit.

Think about it .... your truck was produced at a factory in an industrial environment, then transported to a holding yard in an industrial environment, then put on a truck or train to get to Arizona --- picking up industrial fallout, rail dust, and other debris.

I just like the idea of starting your ride off as clean as possible.

OH, and definitely use two buckets and multiple dedicated wash mitts that you rinse frequently. And work in the shade --- which might be tricky in parts of Arizona.

Enjoy the ride. I'll say it again .... there's nothing quite like a black vehicle when it's all Mother'd up!

'15 Dodge Challenger SRT - B5 Blue
'17 Dodge Durango R/T - Granite Crystal
Closed Thread