Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 05-02-2010

Default Where can I find the best microfiber towels?

I've tried products ranging from store bought (Viking) to high end (Griots Garage) and seem to run into issues with shedding lint. Does anyone make a towel that doesn't shed?
Old 05-02-2010
Administrator

Default Re: Where can I find the best microfiber towels?

Linting shouldn't be a problem if you wash microfibers by themselves in liquid detergent (double-rinse if you have to), don't use fabric softener, and tumble dry with dryer balls.
Old 05-02-2010

TRY THIS SITE FOR GOOD MICROFIBER TOWELS http://www.stocktowelsnow.com/
Old 05-02-2010

I have microfiber towels from many sources and I have not really seen any linting issues yet I see reports of others having issues.

I do pamper my towels: front loader washer, warm wash/rinse plus second rinse with a pre-soak, using a microfiber specific detergent, low heat dry with dryer balls.
Old 05-03-2010

I've been doing the same procedure from the start:warm wash,cold rinse,second rinse at times,detergent free from additives and low heat tumble dry. I don't have a front loader washer nor have I been using "dryer balls". I was considering purchasing a microfiber specific detergent but most I've spoken with say it's not necessary. The towels in question are from Griots Garage and Meguiars and the lint always seems to start after I'm already into a wipe down session and the towels have already absorbed some detailer.
Old 05-03-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
I've been doing the same procedure from the start:warm wash,cold rinse,second rinse at times,detergent free from additives and low heat tumble dry. I don't have a front loader washer nor have I been using "dryer balls". I was considering purchasing a microfiber specific detergent but most I've spoken with say it's not necessary. The towels in question are from Griots Garage and Meguiars and the lint always seems to start after I'm already into a wipe down session and the towels have already absorbed some detailer.

You can also introduce a 1/4 cup of distilled white vinegar in the rinse cycle. It may even work to use a fabric softener ball but use the vinegar instead.

I would definitely try the dryer balls, but separate the types of towels in the drying process to hopefully isolate which towels are actually linting.
Old 05-03-2010

I've used everything from Target's brand to Viking and Peak from O'Reilly's Auto Parts and Pep Boys respectively, to the premium Cobra brand from autogeek.net......and I've never experienced any problem with lint. Of course, I always wash my MF's by themselves in warm water using a MF liquid detergent, and always let them air dry (and then fluff afterwards on a no heat cycle).
Old 05-03-2010

I had the same problem when I mixed in the MF towels with the cotton towels and old Tshirt in the washer.

I have since wash the MF towel by itself and no longer have that problem. I'm not even using the dryer ball...
Old 05-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers View Post
I had the same problem when I mixed in the MF towels with the cotton towels and old Tshirt in the washer.

I have since wash the MF towel by itself and no longer have that problem. I'm not even using the dryer ball...
I've always washed them by themselves though I think I may have stumbled upon a possible culprit. I washed the replacement towels Meguiars sent me and during a second rinse cycle I noticed some soapy residue coming from the towels when I worked them by hand,perhaps I'm using too much detergent or maybe there was something in the towels as they were fresh from the package straight to the wash. I ran another complete cycle minus detergent and the water came clean. Am I on to something here?
Old 05-04-2010
Mothers® Polish

Using too much detergent is a common problem.

If you think about it, when you fill a washer with household towels you put in a full measure of detergent.

I doubt you're filling the machine all the way up with microfiber towels, so if you're putting the same amount of detergent in, it's too much.

Try half as much detergent, and use a second rise.
Old 05-04-2010
Administrator

If you have detergent in the towels when they're dry, it could be there is some damage to the fibers occurring, effectively breaking them off and causing linting... just a theory.

A 1/4- to 1/2-cup of distilled white vinegar to the wash should help prevent lint from clinging to the fibers as well as help them get cleaner.

Adding a 1/4-cup to the last rinse cycle will help prevent detergent buildup, and it also acts as a fabric softener and reduces static cling.
Old 05-05-2010

Well this is definitely a step in the right direction. After seeing the amount of suds that developed in my replacement towels after one wash with apparently too much detergent I decided to rewash the previous load that was completed last week. OH MY GOD!!! the amount of suds in the washer would lead you to think I had put detergent in but it was just a pure water wash! Definitely a source of my trouble if not THE source, it took two complete cycles to get them clean but they are clean now. Now to find a microfiber safe cleaner and to correct my bad laundering habits...
Old 05-05-2010

It is good to hear you resolved your issues.
Old 05-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnot View Post
It is good to hear you resolved your issues.
I'll hold off on declaring them resolved until I get a couple of cleanups done and see the results from the towels. One thing I was considering is the distilled vinegar recommendation, when you pour it into the rinse water do you need to rinse again or just proceed to drying after the initial cycle completes?
Old 05-16-2010

Replacement towels from Meguiars are shedding on initial use and I followed proper procedures. All 6 towels are leaving uniform fibers anywhere they make contact be it paint or glass. The only thing they don't shed is on my aluminum wheels. This makes no sense at all. Oh well, at least I have nice towels to clean my wheels with, now to find suitable towels in 16"x24" size for the rest of the car.
Old 05-16-2010

While wouldn't presume to say they're the only true premium towels on the market.....surely there are others....I myself have found the Cobra brand to be superior to anything I've used. They're not cheap, but I personally consider them to be worth every penny.....not a thread of lint/shedding in over a year of ownership......and they're the perfect companion to the Mothers line.

Just Google "Cobra Microfiber" and go from there.......
Old 05-17-2010

Which particular towels are you using from Cobra?
Old 05-17-2010

I own two each of the smaller Gold Plush and the Supreme 530......each of which is excellent.
Closed Thread