Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 09-12-2010

Default 8hp Car Dryer Review

Wanted to post my review of the Metrovac master blaster 8hp car dryer. They also have a 4hp version...but it is not sufficient for auto use. I was able to test 4hp of the 8hp total as the unit has two 4hp motors with separate switches. Below is the review I posted on Amazon.

Bought this recently to dry two black vehicles. It dries about 85%, with one final pass necessary with a drying cloth. I never let any completely dry cloth touch my paint, so I usually moisten the cloth with a quick detailer which is not a problem for me and adds shine in the process. It is very helpful for drying wheels and crevices in the side mirrors, gas cap area, door handles, etc.

The wheels could definitely use improvement...as the do not rotate. The way it is designed might work great for a motorcycle...which is what it was intended for originally. But with a car which requires a lot more room to move and maneuvering back and forth...you have to pull the hose and drag the unit / wheels to make turns. I mentioned this to the owner of the company, and he said car dealerships that use it for much higher volume work than me do not have a problem with it. At the moment this company has no real competition...it's just a matter of time before we see more options from other companies with enhanced bells and whistles, and hopefully a lower price. At over $300...I feel it should have at least included a free car vacuum.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with it overall, as it is preferable to only drying by cloth which I believe also removes previously applied wax in the process. So it definitely keeps my car looking shiny and protected longer in my opinion.
Old 09-12-2010

Default Re: 8hp Car Dryer Review

I got one last month. I have used mine about 4 times. In my last use, it developed a whistling sound from around the end cap on the exhaust end. They send me a new u channel to install (rather than me sending it back again).

I have had to change my washing routine. I used to wash tires last. I used this routine since i could use the soap on the tires rather than using two batches. I washed the paint, dryed it, then did the tires.

The reason is because I wash in one spot then move the vehicle back about 15 ft so I will not be dragging the blower through water so I now wash the tires, then paint, then move to dry. I usually dry it outside of the garage.

I agree about the wheels. I got better at maneuvering it though. I also noticed it seems to work better to blow the water out of the crevices at the 4 hp mode then crank it up to 8hp when doing the paint. You end up herding water beads. The better the condition of the wax the easier to herd.

I was playing with it and hooked it up to an outlet strip while troubleshooting the whistling sound -- fried the outlet strip, It is rated for 15A and the blower uses 19A. You definitely need a 20A circuit and a good extension cord if you dry outside. My two car garage is too crowded to drag the blower around but I would pull it part way in.

Congrats ! It is a pricey toy. I just hope I can fix that whistle sound.
Old 09-13-2010

Hope it all works out for you...yes it is an expensive toy for sure...so it better work and last long!

I was concerned about the power outlet issue as well...but my only 20A outlets are on the garage ceiling for the garage opener. Got tired of climbing a ladder each time, so I now plug it to a wall outlet with 15A, using a 50ft 12 gauge extension rated for 15A as well (but from what I've read 12 gauge up to 50ft long can handle up to 20A). So far so good...and I hope it stays that way.

The owner said in newer homes using a 15A outlet seems to work fine.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2010

I have a refrigerator in the garage. When they remodeled my kitchen the garage ended up on a 15A circuit. I have a refrigerator in the garage and the circuit breaker tripped in about 4 to 6 minutes until I switched around the breakers. There is a 20A GFI in the first outlet (closest to box) and I confirmed there is 12 gauge wiring so good for 20A.
Old 09-22-2014

Lightbulb Re: 8hp Car Dryer Review

Save the space! Save your money! When it comes to detailing, (or any trade for that matter) there are a million companies out there doing their best to convince you that you need THEIR PRODUCT to get the job done right. When it comes to certain things, I feel it's all about the detailer's personal preference. I still continue to try different waxes, polishes, drying towels, and that's fine. DON'T waste your money on a "high-speed car dryer", because that's all it is- a waste of money. If you have a electric leaf blower in garage.... perfect. If not, go buy one. It's about around $50, and can be used not only to flush the sitting water out of nooks and crevices, but you can also use it to push the majority of dirt/dust out of the car before vacuuming. Work smart- not hard. I have a Toro electric leaf blower and it works perfectly for the job. I think some of those Metro-Vacs run for around $250. And and air compresser?What a waste of money and space in your detailing trailer/van.
Servicing Broward and Palm Beach County, Fl
http://www.attaboydetailing.com
Closed Thread