Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 10-29-2010

Default Scratched the car with the clay bar....

First post here so...Hi everyone!

Mid August I bought a new Honda Accord sedan in crystal black metallic. I ran it through the no touch car wash a few times but of course the car being black, it needed something more.

I washed the car, using all the right products, gave it a light polishing and a coat of wax. The car looked great!

This was two weeks ago....a day later I sprayed some clear coat on a guitar in my shed, garage door was open and the car got covered in overspray. The roof and hood looked almost white.....

I went to the coin wash and hosed it down. Car looked fine, overspray seemed to be gone at first glance but wasn't really. If you look closely, it's there, and sun hitting the windshield makes it very visible. The car feels like sandpaper so I got the clay gold kit.

Today it was a nice clear day and about 50 out, perfect to wash the car since it stays nice and cool.

Washed the car thoroughly and dried it with one of those special towels. The wax seems to be working well because the water was still beading.

After it dried I took out the clay bar, sprayed a piece of the front fender with the included detailer and worked the clay side to side. Very soon it was gliding smoothly. Used the included towel to dry and the paint felt like glass. Perfect! Well...almost...

The clay acted like an ultra fine sandpaper in that it left a few dull spots. Not expected but more shocking were all those fine scratches on my fender.

Either this is normal and all those online reviews have neglected to mention this OR, and probably more likely, I'm doing something wrong.

First thoughts...I did not break a piece off the clay, I probably should have. The clay, in the package, overnighted in the garage and was cold. I had a lot of trouble folding it because it was so stiff.

Soooo should I take off a piece, kneeding until it is nice and flexy and try again? Should I soak it in some warm water or something?

What to use to remove the scratches I have created? The mild polish I have is bringing the shine back, nobody but me can see the scratches, but I know they're there. I need something better and I only have a drill with a powerball and the wax it came with.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-29-2010
Administrator

Default Re: Scratched the car with the clay bar....

Welcome to Wax Forum!

It may be that because you mention you were working with hard clay, that may have marred the finish, especially if those areas were the first you clayed until the clay became more pliable. Always knead the clay first, as well as during claying.

It may also be the overspray was not dry and smeared as you clayed, and we see this sometimes with extreme contamination -- without photos it's hard to say, and even then it's difficult to judge what happened.

If the finish is smooth, it may be scratched. Look at the surface closely and with a shop light and you might be able to tell.

Got any photos?

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 10-29-2010
Administrator

Oh, and what do you have for "mild polish?"

Old 10-29-2010

Thanks for the welcome!

The overspray is rock hard. It's a urethane clear that dries within 12 hours. I have already sanded the guitar which got several coats. I do not have any pictures. I'll snap some tomorrow and will try to capture the scratches. The matte spots are definitely scuffed clear coat as only the top of the orange peel lost some of its gloss. If this car was silver, nothing would be visible, but this black will simply show any and all defects.

The polish is uhm...Meguiars deep crystal polish. It was recommended by the auto parts store to use after washing and before waxing.

I will need rubbing compound and hope I won't have to sand the scratches to really get them out. I also have Meguiars ultimate compound which made the matte spots go but the the scratches remain. This was applied with the powerball.

I'll gladly get rid of all this stuff and get Mothers products as long as I get my paint in the shape I want it.
Old 10-29-2010
Administrator

Let's see if you can get some photos, and we'll try to make some recommendations and help you out.

Old 10-30-2010

I took several pictures but none capture the scratches. Of course I had tried to polish them out before I came to this forum.

You would probably get the same effect by going over the paint with 2000 grit sandpaper to get the more dull looking spots and fine steel wool to get the scratches.

What I intend to try today is to take a small piece of clay and kneed it untill it is soft, then try it on a less visible area, front bumper probably. I am nervous about trying the clay on the rest of the car again though, last thing I want is more scratches.
Old 10-30-2010
Mothers® Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Watson View Post

I will need rubbing compound ....
Rubbing compound won't be needed at all. A good polish (you mentioned the Ultimate Polish you already own) and a machine can remove the marring.

A PowerBall doesn't have enough "bite" to polish away the imperfections. A random orbital with a foam bonnet, or a quality dual action machine like a Porter Cable 7424 with a polishing pad, would be more appropriate.

Most of us are either in Las Vegas, or on our way there for our anual trade show - SEMA. If it takes us a few extra hours to get you a response, please don't think we're ignoring you. There's only so much posting you can do from an iPhone until we get back to the hotel.
Old 10-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T. View Post
Rubbing compound won't be needed at all. A good polish (you mentioned the Ultimate Polish you already own) and a machine can remove the marring.

A PowerBall doesn't have enough "bite" to polish away the imperfections. A random orbital with a foam bonnet, or a quality dual action machine like a Porter Cable 7424 with a polishing pad, would be more appropriate.

Most of us are either in Las Vegas, or on our way there for our anual trade show - SEMA. If it takes us a few extra hours to get you a response, please don't think we're ignoring you. There's only so much posting you can do from an iPhone until we get back to the hotel.
I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to help me out and I will wait as long as needed, there is no rush.

I just tried what I said before, left the clay in the house to warm up, took a bit of and kneened it, which was now very easy.

Soaked the lower (squeeky clean) part of the rear bumper, and moved the clay left and right without applying pressure. There was obvioulsy no overspray there and the clay moved smoothly from the get go. No scratches, no flat spots.

Same technique, tried the part under the taillight, felt the overspraty which went away in seconds. Dried it and there it was, scratches and flat spots. I finally was able to capture it on camera (ss lower right corner). The whole piece looks like this, it's only captured on camera around the edge though.

It seems that the overspray particles are sanding my paint and I'm afraid I won't be able to use the clay anymore, there is no way I'm going to scratch up my entire car like this. I guess I'll have to get a polisher as you suggested and try to polish the overspray off. Maybe then the clay bar can become part of the cleaning routine.

Again thank you for all the help, I really appreciate it.

EDIT: Tried to remove the overspray on a part of the bumper by hand rubbing it with ultimate compound and that too scratched the surface. Seems I'm in trouble now. I'll have to use some chemical to remove the overspray before I can do anything else....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	1604  
Old 10-30-2010

Those flat spots are usually caused by running the clay bar over a dry part of the panel with not enough instant detailer for the clay to slide on. As for the scratches it can be caused by dust or some type of dirt, something caught in the nap of the microfiber or towel that you are using and it’s being dragged across the surface. Or something is stuck on the clay.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2010
Mothers® Polish

If you want to try a chemical - try mineral spirits. It's safe for automotive paint (though it will remove any wax on the surface).

You can buy a pint at a hardware superstore for just a few dollars. Pour some on a clean microfiber towel and wipe back and forth; or pour some on the microfiber and let it lay on the surface (horizontal, like the trunk lid, rood or hood) for a minute or two then wipe away. That may remove the overspray.
Old 10-31-2010

Chris, my initial thoughts were the same, but I was extra careful to be working with a clean surface and towel. The clay is brand new and I soaked the heck out of the fender.

After trying out some things, it appears that the actual overspray is responsible for the marring. As soon as those particles came loose and travelled, flat spots and scratches appeared.

I tried mineral spirits and couldn't remove the overspray with it.

Funny thing here...I went and bought a variable speed polisher and used the ultimate compound on the flat spots and scratches. Turned out just fine but I still had a car covered in spray. When I polished the damaged spot on the fender, of course this meant the polisher would hit some of the overspray parts I never hit with the clay. The overspray did not come off, but it felt different. Thinking I had nothing to lose, I soaked the fender again and carefully clayed it and to my surprise the overspray was gone and no scratch or flat spot in sight!

Tried another part by using some ultimate compound and the polisher, followed by the clay and I ended up with a scratch free, smooth as glass surface.

A few hours later I had the enite car polished, clayed and waxed and it looks great!

Thanks for the help guys, I'm one happy camper now!
Old 10-31-2010
Administrator

Thanks for the update -- glad you got it figured out !

Closed Thread