Post Thanks / Like

gonna do my car this weekend HELP!

hey all bare with me on all my questions.

Here is my plan
    1. wash
    2. clay
    3. wash
    4. poorboy SSR1
    5. Meguairs DACP
    6. poorboy polish
    7. poorboy EX
    8. ps carnuba

Here are my questions.

1. I got a PC and im curious about what I should use the PC to apply and at what speed ranges. Also, when applying with the pc or removing I should be using a terry bonnet correct?

2. The EX requires a 24 hour period between coats, so if I was to leave my car parked in the garage I could just apply another coat without having to do any additional steps?

3. I have some scratches so im gonna attempt to attack them with the SSR1 but if this fails ill step it up to the SSR2. Are there any techniques specific to removing scratches?

4. I got the pad kit and I wanna be sure I understand what each pad is for. Grey pad is for applying glazes or sealants. White pad is for swirl removal and there used for the majority of polishin and waxing. Yellow pad is for stubborn scratches and cars with oxidation.

Thanks for everyones help I cant wait to see how my car comes out!

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Be patient and someone with experience with the Poorboys SSR. polish, and EX will no doubt chime in soon.

What little I can, I will try to help.

1. The terry bonnets are not something I would use for anything. The foam pads will handle everything you are doing and do it better than the terry.

2. When waiting to apply a second coat of UPP, I do just that.

3. Be patient, do a small section at a time, and check your results frequently.

4. Pad colors vary from Mfg. to Mfg. A good rule of thumb is, polishing pads for polishes, finishing pads for finishing. Your SSR, DACP, and Poorboy`s Polish would use the "polishing" pad. A "finishing" pad would be used to apply the EX. A "cutting" pad would be used for serious paint problems. Quite often a fairly mild product will be more aggressive when used with the cutting pad.

One thing that stands out to me is the Meguiar`s DACP. If you use it at all, it seems like it would be before the SSR. It almost seems like you might have one too many polishes in your routine.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your response charles. Yah I threw the DACP in, but your right its prob not necessary. So when using the pads, im using the directly on the car without a bonnet? Except for maybe the final buff with the wool bonnet?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by direkt
    So when using the pads, im using the directly on the car without a bonnet? Except for maybe the final buff with the wool bonnet?
    Yes, for using the pads without the terry bonnet. NO! to using the wool bonnet for the final buff. Use a good quality MF towel or a good quality cotton towel to remove all the products.

Unfortunately, IMO, you have some terry bonnets and a wool bonnet that probably you won`t have much use for. Stick with the foam pads.

Charles

Boss_429
    I agree with Charles on the DACP too. I`ve got to believe that it`s a little more abrasive than the SSR1. However, the SSR2 may be about the same, or even more abasive than the DACP.

I haven`t used any of Poorboys product yet, so I can`t help you with there useage. Hopefuly, Poorboy will be along to help out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also got the UPP line of products. Do you think for my first time it would be easier to go with that?

Boss_429
    Well, I think you`ll be happy either way. The Platinum stuff is super easy to work with, and I`ve heard the same thing about the Poorboys products. So, why don`t you go with the best of both....... get all the swirls and scratches out, finish up with Poorboys Polish, a couple of coats of UPP (24 hours or so apart), and then start layering the EX (24 hours or so apart).

Post Thanks / Like
    quick question about the layering. Say I do a layer saturday afternoon and then sunday afternoon but I drive my car throughout the week. What would I need to do to put more layers of sealant on. Just wash? Is there any reason I couldnt wait a few hours between layers?

Thread Information