Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washing tires ?

Post Thanks / Like
    HCI! ... Isn`t that a little too strong? What concentrate? Its in my opinion that the Acid might burn through, but that is if you let it sit there.

Post Thanks / Like
    i try not to clean my tires using degreaser because i`ve always been under the impression that it dries and cracks the rubber. if it`s really dirty i use some, but for the most part i use car wash and meguiars gel.
    Reflections Complete Car Care
    Carlos Davila Owner
    "A New Level of Protection"

Detailing expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Woob
    HCI! ... Isn`t that a little too strong? What concentrate? Its in my opinion that the Acid might burn through, but that is if you let it sit there.
    I let the acid stand for only 10 seconds on aluminum coated rims, but on chrome i let it stand a littel longer. It`s the best stuff that I ever used on rims to remove brake dust.
    "If I can`t make it shine, it doesn`t shine." Gallop`s detailing waxes all competion."

Post Thanks / Like
    I watered down my Meg`s Wire Wheel Acid, and actually tried it out on clear coated rims and did not get any hazing what so ever!

Top Detailer--Your OWN tire shine, tell me more.

Reflections--Good to see some more GA on here. Where are you based out of? You might be right about the degreaser drying the tire out, but if you saturate it with a water-based dressing regularly, you should be fine.
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Detailing expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Nickc0844
    I watered down my Meg`s Wire Wheel Acid, and actually tried it out on clear coated rims and did not get any hazing what so ever!

Reflections--Good to see some more GA on here. Where are you based out of? You might be right about the degreaser drying the tire out, but if you saturate it with a water-based dressing regularly, you should be fine.
    I can`t do any advertising on the site, but for more information, you are welcome to send me a private message or e-mail me at kgallopdetailing@cox.net
    "If I can`t make it shine, it doesn`t shine." Gallop`s detailing waxes all competion."

Post Thanks / Like

I`m located in Valdosta. Moody AFB.
    Reflections Complete Car Care
    Carlos Davila Owner
    "A New Level of Protection"

Practice makes "PERFECT" clean4u's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    good thread real good info thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "A Clean Ride is a Happy Ride" To some its just a Ride!!!! So True!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great info. Quick questions; What is APC+? And do I dilute Simple Green with water?
    I just want to get the tire really clean before applying the fantastic Bazooka Tire Dressing! Later.

Post Thanks / Like
    APC + = Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner Plus

Dilute Simple Green with 1 to 4 parts water. Or look for instructions.

I'm back YIPEE Refreshed! The Chee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are chrome wheels difficult to maintain? I`m thinking bout them getting oxidised and turning brown or something ?
    A man has got to recognize his limitations, and then learn how to adapt within those confines. Then go out and conquer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Circus1---They are the easiest!!! All you have to do is clean with soap and water on a regular basis.....if they get really bad, use a chrome and wire wheel cleaner (acid).

Good luck!
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is very informative, filled with lots of good info and experiences.

It`s also so information packed that it`s confusing. I`m not sure what I`ve learned by reading all this

I`ll try to distill -my- take on all of this...

- There is an unclear distinction between wheels and tires. There is an ambiguous terminology that perpetuates this confusion. Some products with "wheel" in their name are meant for tires, others for rims. Similiarly, when some people say `wheels` they really mean rims, others mean tires.

- There is an unclear order of treatment. It`s not immediately clear to me whether rims should be cleaned before tires or vice versa. Or if they should be done at the same time.

- Some people believe that strong acids are good for rims. Others believe the risks exceed the benefits. Some people believe that Bleche-White is good for tires but worry about their rims. Others believe the risks exceed the benefits.

- Some people use a multistage cleaning process for their tires: degreaser, cleaner, protectant, dressing. Others use a simpler process.

- Some people do not hesitate to clean rims with strong acids if they are chrome. But what if the chrome is electroplated over aluminum alloy? Isn`t there a risk that the acid will do damage if the chrome has defects?

At least for me, right now, tires and wheels remain one of the most confusing and potentially problematic areas of detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Circus1---They are the easiest!!! All you have to do is clean with soap and water on a regular basis.....if they get really bad, use a chrome and wire wheel cleaner (acid).

Good luck!
    :yeah I`m not the expert that Nick is but I`ll throw in my 2 cents.

My car has chrome electroplated over aluminum alloy wheels. The wheels are three years old, not previously well maintained, and have small defects. Because the wheels are aluminum alloy over which the chrome is plated, I hesitate to use acid based products. I believe that almost all chrome wheels are plated wheels, so I do not know if there are potential problems using acid based cleaners on these chrome wheels.

I have used the following products on my wheels:

Meg`s Wheel Cleaner # 36
    Meg`s Extra All Surface Cleaner
    Mother`s Chrome Polish

My wheels do not have many complex surfaces, so it is fairly easy for me to clean them with a mitt or sponge. Wire wheels would be different.

Meg`s #36 is petroleum based. It won`t damage aluminum wheels, and I have found that it does a much better job at cleaning my rims than soap and water alone. It`s petroleum based, so ... I guess it`s not environmentally friendly. But #36 has worked so good on my rims that I`ve found that it cut`s my polishing time by more than half. It`s been a good time saver.

After the rims are clean and dry, I use Mother`s Chrome Polish on them to get off any areas of rust. Since my wheels have some small defects on them, there is always some rust that accumulates. Mother`s is a really great chrome polish, I think. It takes oxidation right off the rims and restores a reflective brilliant silver sheen.

Not the greatest picture, but (you can see some curbing at 1 o`clock ... )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information