Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 07-04-2011

Default Proper Application for Steps 1-3

Hi Guys i am new to the forums

I just have a question, i bought a brand new car and i am planning to buy Mothers products to be applied to it this coming weekend.

I see there is:
Step1 - Pre-wax Cleaner (is this the same as Carnauba cleaner wax but only in liquid form? please confirm)
Step2 - Seal and Glaze
Step3 - Carnauba Wax

Now i bought an orbital polisher as well. My question is would i use the orbital polisher for step 1 then i buff it by hand then go to step 2, use orbital polisher again buff by hand til i get to step 3?

I hope i can get help on the proper application of steps 1 and 2.

Step 3 i know for sure that i would use my orbital polisher and buff by hand but im confused for steps 1 and 2 as to how they are properly applied to the car. Many thanks
Old 07-04-2011
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: Proper Application for Steps 1-3

Step 1 is a dedicated paint cleaner. It has no wax in it.

With your buffer you would apply all 3 step the same way -

Apply product with buffer. Allow to dry to a haze. Remove with quality microfiber towels. Repeat with each step.

Note you'll need 3 separate bonnets for your buffer - one for each product.
Old 07-04-2011

Thanks Forrest T for the quick response.

What will be the benefits then of using a Carnauba Cleaner Wax first before i apply the Pre-wax Cleaner which is a dedicated paint cleaner? and another thing is if the prewax cleaner is a dedicated paint cleaner doesnt that replace the use of the clay?

Also just to confirm, the Carnauba Cleaner wax, the Prewax Cleaner and Seal and glaze are all abrasive right?

i really appreciate your help. Thank you
Old 07-04-2011
Mothers® Polish

There is no reason to use Carnauba Cleaner Wax before Pre-Wax Cleaner since it would take the Carnauba Cleaner Wax off.

Think of Carnauba Cleaner Wax as a combination of Pre-Wax Cleaner Step 1 and Pure Carnauba Wax Step 3.

Pre-Wax Cleaner is not the same as clay. Clay removes contaminants that are bonded to the paint - stuff like tree sap or paint overspray. Pre-Wax Cleaner removes old wax, light oxidation and minor marring.

Ideally you'd do both - clay before Pre-Wax Cleaner.
Old 07-04-2011

What are the benefits then of doing step 3 (Pure Carnauba Wax) after using the Carnauba Cleaner wax when its already a combination of step 1 and 3? i apologize for asking too much, i just want to fully understand the procedure of waxing.

if im understanding this properly i was the car first and dry it as well. Then i clay my car. after that i may begin steps 1 to 3 but im having a hard time figuring out when do i use a carnauba cleaner wax when that is the exact same thing being done as well when i do steps 1 and 3.
Old 07-04-2011
Administrator

Either do the 1-step process of Carnauba Cleaner Wax --or-- the 3-step process of Pre-Wax Cleaner/Sealer & Glaze/Pure Carnauba Wax. 1-step cleaner waxes tend to be suitable for paints in excellent condition. Our 3-step system tends to make paints in poor condition look better, and darker colored paints look deeper and clearer. Pick a process and see how you like it -- it's not a lifelong commitment. With any of our products -- inlcuding Carnauba Cleaner Wax -- you could optionally add a coat of Pure Carnauba Wax if you want added protection. It's not really necessary, but you could do it the same day or in a of couple weeks. If you want to do the 3-step Ultimate Wax System, wash, apply Protectant to the trim (it protects from staining), clay, do steps 1-3 and you're done. Keep in mind that Carnauba Cleaner Wax has no place in this process. Check out our How To section for videos and Detail Guide.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 07-04-2011
Mothers® Polish

I'm not understanding why you want Carnauba Cleaner Wax as part of your paint care process. You mentioned Pre-Wax Cleaner, Sealer and Glaze and Pure Wax.

A one step product like Carnauba Cleaner Wax is a compromise compared to using the separate products. One steps are ideal for occasional use. The multistep is preferable for frequent use because you don't need the cleaners on the paint that often.

If you plan on waxing less than 6 times a year, use Carnauba Cleaner Wax. If you plan on waxing every month, go with the 3 Step program and use Step 3 every month, Step 2 every other month before the Step 3, and Step 1 every 4 or 6 months, before step 2.

How often do you plan on waxing? Let's start there and help you decide on a program with the correct products.
Old 07-04-2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakeandjake View Post
What will be the benefits then of using a Carnauba Cleaner Wax first before i apply the Pre-wax Cleaner which is a dedicated paint cleaner?
None, primarily because Pre-Wax Cleaner is a better cleaner.
Quote:
and another thing is if the prewax cleaner is a dedicated paint cleaner doesnt that replace the use of the clay?
No. Clay removes contaminants that polishing/cleaning won't or can't.
Quote:
Also just to confirm, the Carnauba Cleaner wax, the Prewax Cleaner and Seal and glaze are all abrasive right?
By definition, polishes are abrasive -- even wiping a towel on the surface is abrasive. Our products contain fine polishes and are safe for regular use.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 07-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Either do the 1-step process of Carnauba Cleaner Wax --or-- the 3-step process of Pre-Wax Cleaner/Sealer & Glaze/Pure Carnauba Wax. 1-step cleaner waxes tend to be suitable for paints in excellent condition. Our 3-step system tends to make paints in poor condition look better, and darker colored paints look deeper and clearer. Pick a process and see how you like it -- it's not a lifelong commitment. With any of our products -- inlcuding Carnauba Cleaner Wax -- you could optionally add a coat of Pure Carnauba Wax if you want added protection. It's not really necessary, but you could do it the same day or in a of couple weeks. If you want to do the 3-step Ultimate Wax System, wash, apply Protectant to the trim (it protects from staining), clay, do steps 1-3 and you're done. Keep in mind that Carnauba Cleaner Wax has no place in this process.
well explained here. i APPRECIATE your help.

I apologize for the confusion Forrest. I thought the carnauba cleaner wax is supposed to be part of the whole process from cleaning the car til step 3. i didnt know it was a choice between using Carnauba Cleaner wax and steps 1 to 3. Now i understand it completely. ok ok thanks for your help, i will probably go with steps 1 to 3 because i like how i can do step 3 every month. Thank you again
Closed Thread