Thread: Nasty Stain

Post Thanks / Like

Nasty Stain

I`m workin` on a sweet `99 Mustang GT ragtop this weekend. The car is mint with the exception of one frugly (meaning, FReakin` Ugly) stain on the pasenger seat. It`s about 4"x4" square, a light redish brown color, and of unknown origin. The seats are leather and are light gray. Conventional leather cleaners have not made any significant improvements. This will be the third time I`ve detailed this car and my customer is extremely pleased with my work. However, it would make me out an instant hero if only I could get this stain removed. She also mentioned a "BONUS" in the deal if I can get the thing gone! I would love to hear about techniques or products that could get the desired results. Also, this customer has lots of friends with nice vehicles. Getting this stain removed could bring in potential new clients. I would genuinely appreciate any help any of you could offer up. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyidea

Any idea what the composition of the stain is?

Here are the things I try:
    Lightest: damp rag and a leather brush, multiple times
    Medium: leather cleaner with said brush
    Heavy: good luck

What I have heard but not tried yet:
    Woolite
    Hair spray
    Lexol Cleaner

If you have tried all of those, I got nothing else.

Lets us know if you have success!

-Matt

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately sometimes stains are what they are stains..and will not come out without taking the dye along with it...remember the seat leather didn`t start grey...you might want to talk to a leather shop about having it re-dyed for him..I have a place that did it for a customer of mine a few years back...

or you can keep trying and hope something like the above mentioned works...you never know...
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I really appreciate the tips. I contacted a friend of mine who hunts and tans his own deer hides. He uses the hides to make all kinds of buckskin leather crafts. After consulting with him and reading y`all`s advice, I came with a bag of tricks. I tried the hair spray and then the woolite. The hair spray actually made a little progress, but didn`t completely lift the stain. Then I tried my friends tip and sanded the spot with a 1500 grit sand paper. It took a little time as I purposely went very slow with the sanding of the leather. But it worked! After the stain was gone, I worked in some leather conditioner and preservative. To make a long story short, the seat now looks brand new. I only wish I had some pictures to show you. Thanks for your help and take note of the sand paper technique, it may come in handy for you some day. Thanks!! Oh yea...I earned the BONUS too!!

Thread Information