Thread: layering

Post Thanks / Like

layering

I would like to get some opinions on the value(if any) in layering sealants in general. I know a few people that believe more coats more protection is the way to go. Some others in the "tech" sector of the business I have talked to, say additional layers adds nothing in terms of protection if the first one is applied properly. Thanks
    turbomangt
    www.perfectautofinish.com

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Appearance probably, protection??

Personal opinion, but based on my experience with UPP, two coats seems to increase the depth and shine. Time has never really been available to do more than two at basically the same time. The van can be tied up for a couple of days for two coats, but another day just doesn`t work out. My real reason for applying two coats was to be sure I have gotten good coverage. It is pretty easy to miss a place and hopefully, I don`t miss the same place twice. My additional coats after the first two are added monthly. That system seems to keep things looking good. It also means that I have no idea if it adds protection, since it only has to last about a month for me.

Based on comments from other sealant users, it does seem to have some value in applying at least two or more. UPP, Zaino, Klasse, Liquid Glass, Finish First users all seem to agree on this.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve only used Zaino and Poorboys Ex. I couldn`t tell much difference between 1 coat and 5 coats of Zaino.....but it was on a white truck. The EX did appear to benefit from the 2nd coat but I can`t tell that the 3rd coat made much difference. The carnuba in EX may improve the look with the 2nd coat. (?) Again that`s on a whit truck so it`s kinda hard to tell.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim S. with the EX can you layer it on the same day or do you have to wait like you do with UPP. Also do you know if you can put a carnauba topper on the same day. I just got some of this and will test it out this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Too, layering the sealants (even if it`s adding a coat once a month) keeps the sealant up to full-strength and maintains maximum protection.

Since even the best sealants slowly wear away over time, regular recoating or layering replaces the worn away portion (even if nothing else, keeping the sealant at full strength is worth regular reapplication).

My view is why wait for the sealant to crap out before applying more? If you let the sealant protection completely wear away, odds are you will have to go through the whole clay/smr/polish/seal all over again perhaps 3 or 4 times a year instead of once or twice. It makes for a lot of extra work and unnessessary buffing.

And aren`t we all obsessive enough without adding more for ourselves to do?
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Looking for 22% Discount TheCompleteLook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

I see alot of talk about layering different products and my personal opinion is that it`s just a waste of time. Here`s my thoughts:
    Adding AIO to any process totally defeats the purpose of the AIO - yes, it stands for "all in one". Layering means that you have no faith in it`s ability to be an AIO, and that makes it sad. If you want to layer, then go for a clean, polish, wax/seal system. The stuff isn`t cheap so don`t waste it.

I do however believe that using a double polish or double wax/sealer does help get some depth and better coverage as described above.

Just my 2 centavos, please feel free to disagree.
    Rob
    www.thecompletelook.net

wayne
    1st layer, 95%
    2nd layer, 5%
    On a daily driver, not worth the effort.
    On a show car, anything is worth the extra efort
    You are not gaining much on a daily driver.
    It would be better to apply a second coat after 30 days..

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TheCompleteLook
    I see alot of talk about layering different products and my personal opinion is that it`s just a waste of time. Here`s my thoughts:
    Adding AIO to any process totally defeats the purpose of the AIO - yes, it stands for "all in one". Layering means that you have no faith in it`s ability to be an AIO, and that makes it sad. If you want to layer, then go for a clean, polish, wax/seal system. The stuff isn`t cheap so don`t waste it.

I do however believe that using a double polish or double wax/sealer does help get some depth and better coverage as described above.

OK, I`ll take you up on that offer . Regarding AIO...yes, it`s an "All In One". Still, the amount of sealant that is layed down by AIO is minimal when compared to its twin, Klasse SG or other final finish sealants like UPP or Poorboys EX. The fact that many people, including myself, use AIO as a prep before adding a final finish sealant doesn`t mean we don`t have "faith" in the product at all. In fact, I`d say the opposite. I feel its ability to clean and prep the finish is quite good and you do get an added benie of a bit of acrylic protection. Topping it with another sealant (wax or synthetic) is merely the next logical step. If I wanted to stop at an all in one I`d just use Mother`s Cleaner Wax, save myself a bunch of money and be done with it.

If topping AIO doesn`t make sense then tell me why they make SG?

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like
    Only time I consider layering is when Ive done... finish`d..ca-put... the cleaning Fine-cut, DACP/SWR process.
    I will layer my Machine Glaze/Show car then will layer my wax
    I will layer my Platinum UPP after Platinum cleaner or one round of Klasse AIO.
    This works for me.....till SWRs and scratches start showing, then go back to cleaning...
    jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TheCompleteLook

Ok, I`ll bite too....

Even the instructions that come with the AIO suggest that: "If your car is *older...a year or more*, it may benefit from two applications of All-in-one. The first application does mostly cleaning with the second application laying down more acrylic protection. This second coat is optional."

So while KLASSE doesn`t insist that two coats are nesessary, they do however recognise that a second coat can be beneficial in terms of protection.

Too, as others have mentioned, applying a second (or third etc) will ensure that all areas of the finish are covered. When applying a single coat, even the best of us can occasionally miss a spot, or apply too little product to be effective. It is very unlikely that you will miss the exact same area twice.

My own opinions are above. Worst case...layering `only` replenishes areas of protection that have thinned and maintains the sealant coating at full strength.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Don

Ok, I`ll bite too....

Even the instructions that come with the AIO suggest that: "If your car is *older...a year or more*, it may benefit from two applications of All-in-one. The first application does mostly cleaning with the second application laying down more acrylic protection. This second coat is optional."

So while KLASSE doesn`t insist that two coats are nesessary, they do however recognise that a second coat can be beneficial in terms of protection.

Too, as others have mentioned, applying a second (or third etc) will ensure that all areas of the finish are covered. When applying a single coat, even the best of us can occasionally miss a spot, or apply too little product to be effective. It is very unlikely that you will miss the exact same area twice.

My own opinions are above. Worst case...layering `only` replenishes areas of protection that have thinned and maintains the sealant coating at full strength.
    Keep in mind that the instructions that came with your AIO were most likely from CMA and not Klasse. The two coats being beneficial on an older car may or may not be Klasse`s idea.

The rest of your post sounds quite logical.

Charles

Thread Information