Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

UPP vs. EX Update

OK - about 10 days in the hot NY summer with UPP over AIO on one half of the hood of my Galactic Blue Jetta and EX over Pro Polish on the other. My initial impression was that I could not tell the products apart, except for some slight streaking on the AIO side. A rain shower about 2 days later revealed absolutely identical beading patterns. Today I washed the car with Coats Hawaiian Shine Soap (don`t ask) and I noticed a very distinct difference. The UPP side was beading with a small, tight pattern, while the EX was sheeting like mad. I tried many different hose spray patterns and different angles, but the results were the same. For the final rinse with no nozzle, the UPP sheeted quite a bit, but the EX sheeted almost dry. After drying with a Big Blue, I still don`t think I could detect any differences in the look or feel of the products. I finished up with some Griots QD and a MF towel and both sides looked pretty much the same - great. It appears that the EX has gone through some changes in the curing process. I know that in the case of acrylics, you cannot judge the protection by the beading and it`s possible that the carnuba in the EX expired under the hot sun on this dark hood, leaving the acrylic sheeting protection. I will tell you, the UPP beads will warm the heart of any carnuba fan. Why is that, if it`s pure acrylic? More of this fascinating stuff to come as we move into August.

Post Thanks / Like
    So do people ever ask you why water only beads on half of your hood? LOL
    Ask a question, be a fool for a minute. Don`t ask a question, be a fool forever.
    -Chinese Proverb

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ace ..about exactly what i would be expecting....
    the Carnuba is only a very small part of the product

The QD+ was brought along for that very reason...some people just like to see small beads....the long debate over sheeting vs beads...is a matter of preference...

the QD+ is a Carnuba enhancer for people who want to have beads and the Warmer look of Carnuba...

the protection is still there and if you went to polish either side by hand you would rub and see the products come up as you reached the clearcoat underneath.

I`m not familiar with Griot`s QD, but it sounds like a non-carnuba product....

keep going and keep cleaning and let`s see how the car looks next month...oh it is next month..lol
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Car Detailing Whore
    Post Thanks / Like
    Arg, I need to get myself some Poorboy`s. Maybe he will give a discount sometime.
    http://tassadar.ezekial.net

Post Thanks / Like
    The Griots is supposed to contain Carnuba, but I won`t be able to know if the EX is beading again until it rains. My beading/sheeting comparisons were done during the wash, which would remove any QD, I would think. I don`t get crazy with QDs and i`ll use whatever is around - Eagle 1, Griots, Platinum, Megs, Mothers. I`ll probably switch to PBs when I order my S & W.

Post Thanks / Like
    oh..ok...I understand..I haven`t used the Griot`s so I was just wondering

Boss_429

Re: UPP vs. EX Update

Originally posted by ACE
    Today I washed the car with Coats Hawaiian Shine Soap (don`t ask) and I noticed a very distinct difference.
    What`s up with that car wash? Sorry ACE, I had to do it!

Anyhow, excellent update! I`ve noticed the same thing. The EX sheets (more than other products) during the first wash after application. It doesn`t bother me, as long as it`s still protecting. As a matter of fact, I notice less water spotting because of it, and it makes for easy drying. Still, it will be great if you can continue the update, and see if you can find the break point of both products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ace

Is it possible that the soap you`re using could be causing the difference? I`ve noticed with different soaps that it seems there is no beading but the next time it rains, the beads are there again. I`ve never tried 2 products on one panel to see the differences though as you have.

But then again if PB says that is what he expected.......

Another thought, if a QD had pd`s in it, what effect would that have on the wax/sealant over time? Maybe PB could chime in, never stopped him before

Rtcat

Boss_429
    Originally posted by rtcat
    Another thought, if a QD had pd`s in it, what effect would that have on the wax/sealant over time? Maybe PB could chime in, never stopped him before

Rtcat
    I agree, I doubt would could stop him if we tried!

Seriously, that is a good question about the effect of QD`s or S & W on a finish over time?

Post Thanks / Like
    RTcat - interesting observation about different beading with different car wash soaps. I`m not trying to be too scientific - just testing two products in a real-world sense. Next time, i`ll wash with Platinum or Griots and see if the beading changes, but I doubt it. The differences were too pronounced to be attributable to the soap, I think. OK, about the car wash - when I ordered my Cherry Wet Wax from Coats, I felt compelled to buy a quart of Hawaiian Shine car wash. It works fine for me - nice and slick. I want my car wash soap greasy smooth and Hawaiian Shine seems to work. I`ll tell you, this is a brutal test for any wax - a dark hood in hot, humid, ungaraged N.Y. summer weather. We`ll see how things go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Boss_429

I agree, I doubt would could stop him if we tried!

Seriously, that is a good question about the effect of QD`s or S & W on a finish over time?
    lmao..I didn`t become a post whore by sitting back too much

I`ve read a lot on different forums and have discovered a few things...

it seems the same product can be used in different places and have totally diffent results..ie beading/ sheeting

I read today about the differences in soaps and waters that different areas of the country use and get different results...suds/ no suds...logically it does make sense ...wheather a person uses a lot of a product or a little , if the car is dark or light, I have heard of differences in water spotting using the same product by the same person...I think I read too much

Now will someone else come in and say their EX is beading? , yes ...it depends on maintenance and the products used.

Yes I can almost guarnatee if the Groit`s has carnuba it will bead again in the rain..probably even somewhat small ...as time goes on they will get bigger as the wax deteriorates...all wax does...
    and your left with the product you left as a sealant next to the finish whether it`s Klasse, UPP, EX , Blackfire, or Zaino....that`s why people looking for a look and layering different products will get a slight longer lasting shine but the protection is basically the bottom layer..washings and petroleum based products will wear down the layers and the QD`s which have wax will keep the enhanced look for as long as the person keeps up with it....

Let`s see I ranted and went on and on did i misss anything...hmmmm

Yes...no the Spray and Wipe will take much longer than soap to wear down the surface products due to a few reasons....should i go on

Boss_429
    Originally posted by Poorboy

should i go on
    No, that`s enough............... for now!

Post Thanks / Like
    No more!....NO MORE!! PLEASE....NO MORE!

(can you believe that I`ve used almost 3 gallons of S&W this summer?! I bathe the Silverado in it daily!!)
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jim i have a question for you...since you used EX and spray and wipe on a regular basis..does your truck bead or sheet in the rain

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation EX and Beads!

My black Hyundai Santa Fe has had 3 coats of EX on it for just about 6 weeks. During this time in Maryland it has rained frequently, but the only water the finish has felt is rain.

The car is garaged a good portion of the time, but I still put about 1,500 miles a month on the clock. I don`t let the car get too dirty. S&W is used after every rain and followed up with QD.

I`ve used a variety of QDs - CK, EO, Showtime, Platinum and 3M Gloss enhancer. The 3M gives me the best results. It has trace amounts of carnauba and two kinds of alcohol.

The upshot of this is that the finish beads like all get out! In the past 6 weeks I`ve never seen any evidence of sheeting, but then again, I haven`t bucket washed the car either.

The regemin of S&W and 3M works extremely well. If this keeps up I`ll have to break down and detail the car sometime in October!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information