Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PC

Post Thanks / Like

New PC

I just got my PC from Coastal Tool with the bonus 6" hook and loop contour pad. I have never used or owned one of these but I am very serious about car care and want toget tothe next level. The PC came with a big white polisher, I took that off and screwed on the 6" contour pad. What is the next step? Do the foam pads attach to this? Do I need anything ekse besides the foam pads at this point?? Also will I ever use the big white pad it came with? I switched the counter weight to the 6" one they provided before I attached the 6" pad. Will I need the 5" one they gave me? If so for what. I would appreciate some information on this subject since I am new at this. Thanks BOBBY:badabum

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I`m not a PC expert, it looks like you aren`t getting many responses so here`s one.

1. The white screw-on pad gets some bad mouthing, but I have been using it for Meguiar`s #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 for about 17 months. It hasn`t come apart or caused any damage to the paint on 4 vehicles. It is a little bit of a nuisance to change, but not that bad. IMO, for polishing, it seems to work OK.
    2. Yes the foam pads attach to the velcro backing plate.
    3. The 6" counterweight is what I have been using for 17 months. The 5" CW is unlikely to get used. but......
    4. Foam pads should be all you will ever need for polishing paint.
    5. Not having ever seen the 6" backing plate, I can only guess that if you use 6.5" pads, you will need to be very careful to have them centered. Otherwise you may be close enough to the edge to scuff something with the backing plate. 7", 7.5 " pads will probably not be a problem at all. Hey, for all I know centering the 6.5" pads might not be that critical, either.
    6. Enjoy. Remember, it`s supposed to be fun.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Good advice Charles. I also use the PC pad for polishing. It really is a decent pad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Charles you say you never heard of a 6" back plate. What is the norm. Also what pads are recommended and where should I buy them from?:cool

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not Charles but many people use a 6" backing plate ... Meguiar`s backing plate is 5` diameter so it is a little more forgiving as far as bumping the paint with it. I have used the white pad some ... it vibrates more than my meg`s pads ... it works OK for the products Charles mentioned ...
    Have fun!
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like
    What about The Edge pads for the PC?

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t used them but many people here at DC do ... and they always get great reviews. I will be trying them in the near future
    It`s what you learn after you know it all that counts ... John Wooden

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bobby D
    Charles you say you never heard of a 6" back plate. What is the norm. Also what pads are recommended and where should I buy them from?:cool
    It isn`t that I haven`t heard of the 6" plate, but I haven`t seen one to know how it works with 6.5" pads. If you keep the pad flat against the paint, it may not be a problem at all.
    I happen to use Meguiar`s pads with no problems at all. Some members report the velcro coming loose from the pad sometimes.
    :dunno
    The edge pads get good reviews here, but I do think I remember at least one of their pads losing the velcro, too. I think it was replaced with no questions asked.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer a curved edge for my DA pads. The Edge pads have a blunt cut which makes them a little more difficult to work with over bumps and in tight spots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CharlesW
    It isn`t that I haven`t heard of the 6" plate, but I haven`t seen one to know how it works with 6.5" pads. If you keep the pad flat against the paint, it may not be a problem at all.
    You do have to be careful with the 6" plate and 6.5" pads. It`s very easy to accidentally hit the paint with the plate. I like to use the Lake Country 7.5" curved edge pads with the 6" plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by awd330
    I prefer a curved edge for my DA pads. The Edge pads have a blunt cut which makes them a little more difficult to work with over bumps and in tight spots.

Where do you get you curved edge pads?

Post Thanks / Like
    AWD did you mean the tufted 7 1/2" inch pads from lake country?

Post Thanks / Like
    Where do I find curved edge pads for my PC? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    AWD did you mean the tufted 7 1/2" inch pads from lake country?
    No, not the tufted ones. The curved edge ones are smooth and one solid piece. They just have beveled edges and a slight concave depression in the center.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where do I find curved edge pads for my PC? Thanks
    Unfortunately, none of the DC sponsors currently offer these pads. I hope Dwayne will one day carry them, but in the meantime you can view them at the CMA, Top of the Line, and Detailer`s Paradise websites.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information