Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 02-19-2006

Default Mothers FX SynWax

After washing and drying my new black Murano, I waxed it with FX SynWAX. Maybe its the color black on my Murano, but I have a hard time looking for that "haze" so I can hand rub to a polish. Is the haze supposed to be noticeable white?

Also the bottle says to pour a "small amount" on a terry cloth or applicator, what is a small amount? I don't know if I am doing it right, but I usually use more than a small amount to cover that small area.

I also used Mother's Chrome polish on my chrome below my door. But it seems its not as polish as I thought it would be. Maybe I am doing it wrong?
Old 02-19-2006
Administrator

Default Re: Mother's FX SynWAX

Paniolo,

It could take anywhere between 5 and 15 minutes to get the "haze." Factors will be temperature and humidity, and the amount of product used.

Pour a small amount of SynWax onto your applicator -- about the size of a half-dollar at most -- and work it in a 2' x 2' to 3' x 3' area. Apply a little more to the applicator if necessary. While that's hazing, apply some more to the applicator -- likely a little less is needed as the applicator gets "loaded" -- and work in an adjacent area while the first area hazes. You should see a difference between the two in just about 5 minutes... maybe 15.

Buffing should be done with a light effort. Shake the towel periodically, or change to a new towel. I'd expect to use several clean towels for buffing the entire vehicle.

Keep in mind that with FX SynWax, it's not going to haze to a chalky white like you might expect with some more traditional waxes.

Waxing doesn't have to be work -- so don't make it harder than necessary.

I think that "chrome" strip may be stainless steel -- let me check into it and get back to you. Since Chrome Polish is a very mild polish and brightener -- it may not be the product you want if it's stainless steel.
Old 02-19-2006

Unhappy Re: Mother's FX SynWAX

I just found out that plate is, according to the 2006 sales Murano brochure as "Chrome side sills accent."
Maybe I'm not waiting long enough for the haze to appear on this one the reason I'm not getting the shine.

As for my car, putting on FX SynWax, I did not wait at least 5 minutes much less 15 minutes for the haze to appear. What I thought was a haze, I just wiped it off with a clean micro cloth a few minutes later. My Murano looks polished.

So the small amount is about the size of a half-dollar... I may have used less than a half-dollar.

Your not saying work in a 2' x 2' to 3' x 3' area than wait for 5 to 15 minutes for a noticible haze before proceeding to the next area?
Old 02-19-2006
Administrator

As for the chrome sills, without seeing a before and after photo, it's hard to tell through the Internet -- as well as understanding what your expectations should be. If you're trying to remove scratches, that's another subject. If you can describe better what you're experiencing, we can hopefully help you.

As for the SynWax (or any wax), do what works for you in terms of each major section in the vehicle. You might do half of the hood all at once for example, or you might split it up into thirds or quarters -- it depends on how you want to follow lines or contours.

Effectively, stay in one section with an application, and make sure you cover it thoroughly. Then work on the next area, and the next, and the next.... At some point (or immediately) you're going to want to go back and buff the earlier sections.

Your timing on the buffing will be affected by how fast you work and how fast the product is hazing. If you wait too long, you're going to spend too much effort removing it. So it could be as little as a few minutes in the desert, or who knows how long in Hawaii.
Old 02-20-2006
Mothers® Polish

Paniolo - If you apply wax in a heavy coating, it will dry to a white finish. If you apply it thin, it will haze.

I would suggest you apply the product to a panel (door, fender, 1/2 hood, etc), let it dry to a haze, and wipe to remove. There shouldn't be any hard rubbing involved.

Depending on temperature, wind, humidity, etc., it will take varying lengths of time or the wax to dry/haze. Just touch it lightly with your fingertip to see if it's still wet or dry.

Remove when it's dry.
Old 02-22-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo
Maybe I'm not waiting long enough for the haze to appear on this one the reason I'm not getting the shine.
Do you wipe it on and leave it to haze, or do you 'work it in'?

Chrome Polish is a mild abrasive polish that requires a lot of 'elbow grease' to get the best out of it.

"The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart
Old 02-22-2006
Mothers® Polish

Both Chrome Polish (for the chrome accent plate) and FX SynWax need to dry to a haze before removal.

If you need to buff hard to remove them, you've done something wrong like applying far too much product.
Old 03-03-2006

I found SynWAX and I love it! But my questions is, does washing your car with dish soap strip your car of the SynWAX? I know it strips it from other waxes. But I figured the SynWAX is a synthetic wax.
Can you please let me know?
Thanks SO much.
Old 03-03-2006

The expert is "Forest T" on this forum, not me.
Old 03-03-2006
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpin842
I found SynWAX and I love it! But my questions is, does washing your car with dish soap strip your car of the SynWAX? I know it strips it from other waxes. But I figured the SynWAX is a synthetic wax.
Can you please let me know?
Thanks SO much.
tenpin842,

Welcome to Wax Forum!

Glad you like FX SynWax...

No matter the brand or formula of wax, you'll want to use a quality car wash.

Dish soap will easily cut through any wax.
Closed Thread