Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 05-26-2007

Default how to make the most of sealer/glaze?

how do i make the most out of the sealer/glaze? isn't it supposed to hide swirlmarks and microscratches? how come that after applying the sealer and glaze, they could still be seen? could it be my applicator? i'm using a foam pad applicator. what can you recommend that i do to make sure that i apply the sealer/glaze correctly and effectively?
Old 05-26-2007

Default Re: how to make the most of sealer/glaze?

The key part there would be "micro." For example, it doesn't hide the damage caused by a years worth of spinning brush washes or damage from using whatever towel is laying around to dry the car. It hides fine, "shallow" scratches. Sometimes the scratches that you may think are light are possibly deep, but not wide.

To give a better idea to us as to what you might do to get better results, tell us what previous prep you've done. Has the vehicle ever been polished? By hand or machine? If by machine, ROB, DA polisher, or rotary? How old is the paint? How has it been maintained? Stuff like that.

If you haven't polished the car first, I think you would be expecting too much from the S&G if you used it as the only prep before waxing.
Old 05-26-2007

well, i've polished the car with a rubbing compound by hand. the surface feels really smooth but the scratches are still there. the paint is about ten years old without proper maintenance until now. i used an orbital polisher before but it still had scratches on the surface and the rubbing compound kept on forming hard-to-remove residue on the surface.
Old 05-26-2007
Administrator

I'm not sure if Pre-Wax Cleaner will offer any additional improvement, so at this point, you might just apply two light coats of Sealer & Glaze by hand in a test area and see if you get an improvement -- it will help hide those fine scratches.

If it looks satisfactory, seal it with a Pure Carnauba Wax.

You can't expect too much on neglected 10-year-old paint unless you use a proper machine.
Old 05-27-2007
Registered User II

It DOES hide them. But as previously said not very deep/bad scratches. I have a bike with a black/blue tank and black fenders. I only treat them by hand using wax and detailer. But i do use some harsh things to apply it like those blue paper towels they sell at auto parts stores. So it's certainly not babied. Yet the glaze covers the fine scratching almost 100%.

So i have to assume that like the previous post suggests, in the past you must have really messed it up somehow or something. But i can say that black paint which as you know is the worse for showing those marks can be made to look like new with sealer glaze if the paint isn't very damaged. Obviously nothing will hide deep scratches. those have to be polished out. The only thing i can think of is that maybe the rubbing compound and/or towel you're using is too abrasive and it's leaving marks too deep for the S/G to hide. Maybe try a finer polish with microfiber towels at this point and see how that works. Mothers scratch remover works great as a final polish for removing swirls and such, so maybe try that before the S/G.
Old 05-27-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz View Post
(snip)... Mothers scratch remover works great as a final polish for removing swirls and such, so maybe try that before the S/G.
Worth a try.

Photos might be helpful to shed some light on the subject.
Old 05-28-2007

i'll try to upload some pictures asap. but here, i've got a few questions as we go along.

- what's the difference between the rubbing compound and polish? is it mandatory that i polish after rubbing it?

- will the mother's scratch remover remove medium deep scratches or only the light ones?

- i have an orbital machine. what should i should i use remove the scratches? mother's power polish or pre-wax cleaner or a rubbing compound?

- can you give me any tips on using an orbital buffer? especially with how to avoid too much residue forming and how to effectively remove them if they do.

so there are a few questions that i have in mind right now. i really want a showroom finish so i want to remove all the scratches i can, especially the ones that can be seen when it's hit by light. i know i can't do much with the deep scratches but i really want to take out as many scratches as i can.

by the way, thanks to those who're trying to help out. i appreciate it.
Old 05-28-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabby View Post
- what's the difference between the rubbing compound and polish? is it mandatory that i polish after rubbing it?
Here, a rubbing compound is VERY aggressive. It must be followed by a milder polish. Think of it like sanding wood. You use coarse paper for removing the "bulk" of the wood, then you use finer paper to smooth out everything. If you don't polish after compounding, you get a hazy, dull, scoured surface (typically). Polishing afterwards helps remove the haze, the finer scratches and restores clarity/depth.

Quote:
-will the mother's scratch remover remove medium deep scratches or only the light ones?
It will if you work on it long enough. I've used it (by hand) to remove a vandal's keying across a hood. It took a while, but it worked. It's a mild enough polish that it can be used as the final polish before waxing.

Quote:
- i have an orbital machine. what should i should i use remove the scratches? mother's power polish or pre-wax cleaner or a rubbing compound?
If it's a typical random orbital found at department stores and such, I don't think you'll be able to get rid of too many scratches with it. They aren't too powerful nor do they allow pad changes (they use bonnets). I've heard of some people attaching Velcro® to the pad of the buffer and using it with DA pads, but I haven't tried that. Given enough time, you may be able to smooth out some cobwebbing with it. I would recommend using a foam bonnet rather than the cotton terry that are typically sold with them, as the terry are often fairly coarse/thin so I think they might induce extra marring.

Mothers Power Polish would be better for removing light scratched than the PreWax Cleaner. I wouldn't use a rubbing compound any more than needed, as you are removing a fair bit of paint each time. You may get better results with the Scratch Remover if you don't have a DA polisher/various pads. The Power Polish is very pad dependent, so if you were to use it with a mild medium, you would be burnishing the paint to a higher gloss instead of removing scratches. (Which has its benefits as well...)

Quote:
- can you give me any tips on using an orbital buffer? especially with how to avoid too much residue forming and how to effectively remove them if they do.
Basically, once the pad/bonnet is "primed" don't apply too much product. It takes a bit initially to get the pad/bonnet "saturated" enough that it stops absorbing most of the applied product, but once you do, you don't need to keep applying the same amount for each panel. Also, once you spread the product around the area you are going to work on (typically a 2'x2' area) spend some time and work the product in. Don't just spread it, make a quick pass over it and wipe it off. The longer you work it, the less residue you should have to wipe off. When used properly, there shouldn't be much residue left to wipe off after you've finished polishing/glazing or waxing. (But don't work it so long that you are "dry buffing" either! Make sure that you still have some workable film. If it has dried or is "all gone" you may induce marring.)

Hope some of this helps!
Old 05-28-2007

can i use the scratch remover as my polish after rubbing it down?
Old 05-28-2007

and yeah, is it better to use the terry or the foam pad with the scratch remover?
Old 05-28-2007

Scratch Remover can be used as your final polish.
Terry might be more aggressive, so it might level down the paint a bit faster, but, as I mentioned earlier, it may leave some marring of its own. The foam bonnet can work as much as the terry, it may just take longer. But the end results, I think, will be better.

(This is kind of a moot point, though, if you are getting a Wax Attack polisher, as it uses foam pads.)
Old 05-29-2007

okay. i have another question. if i rub the car down, should i wash the car first before polishing it or can i rub-polish-wash?

combinations that come to mind is:

wash-rub-wash-polish-wash-seal-wax
or
wash-rub-polish-wash-seal-wax
or
wash-rub-wash-polish-seal-wax

which is correct?
Old 05-29-2007
Mothers® Polish

I'd suggest:

1) Wash to remove surface dirt

2) Clay to remove embedded contaminants

3) (if necessary/desired) Rubbing Compound I'm not sure this is a good step by hand, as it leave lots off marring which will need to be removed in the next step.

4) Polish to remove compounding marks

5) Sealer & Glaze

6) Wax - use a type without any cleaners in it.

So, in your set of choices, I guess that's the second one.
Old 05-29-2007

all right, i guess that's all i have to ask concerning this thread! thanks to everyone who helped out especially mama's boy and forrest. thank you so much.
Closed Thread

Tags
scratches, sealer and glaze