Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 05-03-2009

Default Beginner. Caring for a black car!

Hey new to this forum , been reading through and it has some great information. Just wanted to create a thread to get some advice before i purchase some new car care products.

I am from New Zealand, so we have alot of rain, and my black car gets very dirty! I own a 1994 Nissan silvia, with an aftermarket black paint job. Looks like it isnt the most expensive of jobs.

Anyway i have attached a pic for you all to see.
I havent done anything other than washing with sponge, and drying it with a chamois(sp). And i still get left with alot of very annoying water spots.

Could someone please give me some advice as to what products i should be using, and the process i should go through on my black car.

Old 05-03-2009
Administrator

Default Re: Beginner. Caring for a black car!

Welcome to Wax Forum!

Black that needs some tender loving care can usually benefit from the 3-Step Ultimate Wax System -- that's Pre-Wax Cleaner, followed by Sealer & Glaze, and finally Pure Carnauba Wax. You maintain it with periodic applications of Pure Carnauba Wax or Sealer & Glaze followed by Pure Carnauba Wax.

If it's in pretty good shape, or you don't care to expend the effort to apply three steps, you can try a one-step product like FX SynWax.

Once you get it waxed, use our Two Bucket Method to keep it looking good -- be sure you're using a good sheepskin wash mitt and a quality scratch-free microfiber towel to dry.

In brief, try the following:

* A thorough wash.
* Dress your trim with Back-to-Black -- don't buff until you're done waxing -- likely it's in need of a little attention, and it will also help keep any wax from sticking to the trim.
* Clay.
* Then try either the 3-Step Ultimate Wax System with a PowerBall 4Paint; or if you want a one-step product, try FX SynWax or Carnauaba Cleaner Wax paste or liquid instead if you feel it needs more polishing than FX SynWax provides.
* Wipe the trim with a soft terry towel.

If you try the 1-step process and the results aren't quite what you hoped for, you can always do the 3-step process next time.

Try a spray wax like FX Spray Wax to easily add extra protection, and it's great after every wash.
Old 05-04-2009

Cheers for that reply.

Just wondering what is classified as 'trim' to use this back to black.

Cheers
Old 05-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cconor View Post
Cheers for that reply.

Cheers
Trim is non painted, textured plastic. You can use Back to Black on the plastic cowl, The rubber gasket around the windshield, and around rear window. You can also use it on your wiper arm's.
Old 05-04-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cconor View Post
Cheers for that reply.

Cheers
Most anything that's not bright metal or glass or body paint.

That means rubber, hard plastic, window and door seals, gaskets around body panels, lights, key locks and door handles, etc.
Closed Thread