Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Tire & Wheel Care

Tire & Wheel Care Whether you have hubcaps, clearcoated factory alloy, or custom wheels worth thousands, you'll want them to look their best. Metal polishing is also discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 07-16-2012

Exclamation Eagle Rims tough water stains/white spots/brake grime

Hello all i currently have some nice Eagle rims on my truck and was wondering if anyone can help. My rims tend to get brake dust/grime on them as well as random white spots on them after cleaning them a week later. Here are the products i have used which from top to bottom (top being the best bottom being the worst).

1) Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish (works great still takes a while though)
2) Eagle One Never Dull Wadding Polish ( works like mother but takes longer)
3) Armor All Extreme Wheel & Tire Cleaner Spray (Orange Can, doesn't take off much)
4) Turtle Wax Polishing Compound ( just realized its for body)

Did try the Powerball but it began to rip and found out it was better to just use polish alone.

If anyone has some suggestions, i will take the time to see if they work and i would greatly appreciate it.

Here are pics of rims. The clean rim is when i used the Mothers Mag& Aluminium Polish the other pics are how they look after awhile (week & 1/2 to 2 weeks)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7160129.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	673.6 KB
ID:	1764   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7160131.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	777.4 KB
ID:	1765   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7160132.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	764.0 KB
ID:	1766   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7160133.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	599.9 KB
ID:	1767   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120607_142647.jpg
Views:	777
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	1768  

Old 07-16-2012
Administrator

Default Re: Eagle Rims tough water stains/white spots/brake grime

Welcome to Wax Forum!

Our #05142 PowerBall Mini MD and #05150 PowerMetal Scratch Removing Polish are ideal for this 2-step job -- you'll have to follow with the Mag & Aluminum Polish by hand or with the PowerBall Mini/Cone to finish it up.

It's available online on our store and elsewhere; ask your local independent auto parts store if he can order them through Keystone distributors.
Attached Images

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 07-16-2012

So the PowerMetal Scratch Removing Polish will remove this even better than the mag & aluminium polish, because i felt that the mag & aluminum polish did a great job never heard of this one before . Thanks for responding so quickly may i ask why this polish will work better?
Old 07-16-2012
Mothers® Polish

The PowerMetal Scratch Removing Polish is our most aggressive metal polish. You can read about it here:

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05150.html

It's made to be used with the PowerBall Mini M

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05142.html

More aggressive foam, combined with more aggressive polish, polishes away the surface imperfections. You'll need to follow that with our regular Mag & Aluminum Polish to restore a high luster.

Operate the PowerBall Mini MD and a drill at 150 or so RPM. There's no reason to spin the drill fast. Keep it moving - don't let it dwell in one spot.

You mentioned your first attempt with a PowerBall wasn't good. The most likely causes are too high of speed, or forcing the ball in to too small of an area. Those rims have fairly large openings, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I hope you were using a cordless drill? Corded drills develop a lot of torque, and operate at high speed. Combined together, they can damage a PowerBall quickly.

You can order those two items from a variety of on-line sources, or from us. Another alternative is to have your local auto parts store order from Keystone Automotive. Have them use vendor code M40 and part numbers 05142 and 05150. Keystone has them in stock.
Old 07-16-2012

Thanks really appreciate the help i hope to purchase this really soon and will post pictures afterwards when i see the results thanks again for the both yours help
Old 07-17-2012
Administrator

Here's an article that Super Chevy editor Calin Head wrote up on wheel restoration -- he LOVES the Mini MD for restoring vintage wheels, and water-spotted wheels can be just as much of a challenge:

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...resuscitation/

Before...

After...

Old 07-17-2012
Administrator

Oh, and Forrest wanted me to be sure to remind you to check the bottle on your Wheel & Tire Cleaner product -- it is not for use on uncoated aluminum, which you have.

You should only use a wheel cleaner for uncoated or polished aluminum with these wheels, such as our #06024 Polished Aluminum Wheel Cleaner:

Mothers® Aluminum Wheel Cleaner is formulated to safely and easily clean uncoated polished aluminum and anodized wheels. Gentle, yet effective, Aluminum Wheel Cleaner doesn’t just stop at aluminum. It also works great on painted, clearcoated, color coated, steel, modular, chrome, custom or factory coated wheels and hubcaps. Its unique spray on, hose off design safely penetrates, dissolves and suspends all types of brake dust, grease, dirt, and grime, making rinsing a snap.
#06024, 24 oz.

Old 07-17-2012

Thank you so much for all your detailed help by far the most help i have ever gotten thank you and can't thank you enough. Wish there could be a way to repay you, i do drawings on the side maybe i can do a drawing for the mothers brand in response
Old 12-25-2012

So these rims are chrome as mine are and have the same problem and looking to rectify it before spring.
Old 12-25-2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG View Post
So these rims are chrome as mine are and have the same problem and looking to rectify it before spring.
DEG,

The above wheels are polished aluminum, which you would treat differently than chrome plate.

Send me a photo or two if you can't post one in your original thread

http://waxforum.com/showthread.php?t=4820

-- please also indicate what you tried so far to remove the stains; and if you used a metal polish, did it turn black?

jimd@mothers(dot)com

Thanks!

Closed Thread

Tags
damaged, eagle, rims, spot, white spots