Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 03-24-2019

Smile Wax Remover without Abrasive

I currently own the 3 step system and Cg synthetic. The step 1 says which is the pure polish says it is supposed to be used only twice a year.

I was wondering if there is a product that can remove wax without abrasive agents that can thin the clear coat.

All inputs will be highly appreciated.

Last edited by Lawrence_008; 03-24-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2019

Default Re: Wax Remover without Abrasive

Body solvent type products, something in the line of tar removers (mineral spirits or even kerosene), or maybe for less frequent use, dishwashing soap, clay bars will also help to remove old wax. Those will definitely remove existing wax, in my experience.

Those, I would use only as needed, and same goes with any abrasive (whether mild or aggressive).
Old 03-26-2019
Administrator

Lawrence,

The question of why you want to remove wax might be helpful in providing an answer -- it may not be necessary.

But we use isopropyl alcohol as they call it here -- 91% or less, spray it, wipe it with one cloth and buff dry with another cloth.

Solvents should not be necessary unless you're in the body shop.

And be sure to "Like" us on Facebook for updates on what we're doing!
Old 03-26-2019

Hi admin, thanks for the reply. Just want to remove the old wax completely and I don't want to use the step 1 in which has abrasive considering that my paint is in top condition. Will be applying the CG synthetic wax. So applying isopropyl alcohol after a wash will do the trick, how about using high concentrate of CG car wash liquid or mothers all purpose cleaner on the body?
Old 03-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffboy View Post
Body solvent type products, something in the line of tar removers (mineral spirits or even kerosene), or maybe for less frequent use, dishwashing soap, clay bars will also help to remove old wax. Those will definitely remove existing wax, in my experience.

Those, I would use only as needed, and same goes with any abrasive (whether mild or aggressive).
Hi ffboy, thus dishwashing soap will dull the clear coat and eventually will double your work eventually doing some polishing.
Old 03-26-2019

Not sure, but all purpose cleaner might be a touch to harsh, even for a non-abrasive wax remover. it might be in the same level as dish washing detergent in terms of potency. I don't find the CG Pure Polish that aggressive (when hand applied), I believe it's more of 60% chemical and 40% abrasive, it's just the right level for me in terms of cleaning ability.
Old 03-27-2019
Mothers® Polish

Even though we recommend using Step 1 Pure Polish a couple times a year, it can be used more often, if necessary, without fear of removing clear coat.

I've used it literally 20+ times on 1 vehicle without any degradation of the paint.

If I were looking to remove wax from a vehicle, without any additional cost of purchasing another product, the first product I'd grab would be clay. If not clay, my second choice would be Step 1 Pure Polish.
Old 03-28-2019

Thanks guys for the help, I may as well go with the step 1 pure polish application by hand and after that swipe with isopropyl alcohol. I rarely use my clay unless I can feel the contaminants by the paint surface. I am just playing on waxes how I can pop out the color of a silver paint.
Closed Thread

Tags
remove wax