Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread
 Page 1 of 2   1   2 >

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 04-23-2007

Default Wax recommendations

I finally decided to get semi-serious about waxing cars. I am looking for recommendations on appropriate mothers products...

Wish List
1. Easy to apply / remove on wash cars (1 step)
2. Does not scratch / haze dark colors (dark metallic blue) or stain plastics (I am sloppy)
3. Durable so I do not have to wax as often and easy to clean off bugs
4. Decent shine (durability more important)
5. Can be obtained locally (Pep boys carries many mothers products)
6. Minimal prepping (not patient to clay bar, etc)

This is for a new car so the paint is in great shape...
Al
Old 04-23-2007
Administrator

Default Re: Wax recommendations

abnot,

Welcome to WaxForum!

For your beautiful new Lincoln, hopefully we can help you keep it looking good without spending too much dime or too much time -- and you can get it all at Pep Boys.

The waxing process starts with a thorough washing in the cool shade with a genuine sheepskin wash mitt, a bucket of quality suds (and an optional second bucket for rinsing). Dry with scratch-free microfiber towels.

We strongly recommend claying once or twice a year (or more often as needed). Our clay bar easily and safely removes surface contaminants that no hand-applied cleaner or polish can. It shouldn't take you more than 30-45 minutes to do the entire vehicle.

And while our Clay Bar Paint Saving System includes a sample size Carnauba Cleaner Wax, save that for future use. Instead, try our Reflections Car Wax -- it's a very easy to use by hand and will help your dark blue metallic paint pop while also minimizing any risk of staining trim. One trick we like to recommend is dressing your trim before you clay or wax -- that way the product can penetrate while you work on the paint. Our Back-to-Black is a great trim dressing for all colors of plastic, vinyl and rubber and it's especially good to use periodically such as at wax time. For regular maintenance, perhaps all you would need is a product like our Protectant.

When you're all done waxing, give a final wipe of all of your trim, clean the glass and look for any missed product -- then take some photos for us if you can!

After future washings, you can use our FX Spray Wax as you dry the vehicle -- it'll help bring a little extra shine and extend the time before you'll have to wax again.

And don't forget the tires -- you can use Protectant on your tires; if you want something a little shinier, try our FX Tire Shine.

In summary:
  • California Gold Car Wash
  • California Gold Clay Bar Paint Saving System
  • Back-to-Black
  • Protectant
  • Reflections Car Wax
  • FX Spray Wax
  • FX Tire Shine (optionally)
We didn't talk about wheels, but if you'd like some help on that tell us whether you have factory clearcoated, chrome or custom wheels.

Good luck -- and remember, we're here to help!
Old 04-23-2007

Just for the sake of conversation, why would you recommend FX spray wax over Reflections spray wax, if Reflections is the base product used? Just for the "no wait to haze" application of the FX (quicker)?
Old 04-23-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama's Boy
Just for the sake of conversation, why would you recommend FX spray wax over Reflections spray wax, if Reflections is the base product used? Just for the "no wait to haze" application of the FX (quicker)?
My recommendations were based on the fact that abnot mentioned he was shopping at Pep Boys and that he also wanted a simple approach.
Old 04-23-2007

Thanks. I think Walmart carries Mothers products too.

Also, how much does the Reflections Top Coat add to the durability?

Why do you recommend Reflections over FX?

Al
Old 04-23-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnot
Thanks. I think Walmart carries Mothers products too.

Also, how much does the Reflections Top Coat add to the durability?

Why do you recommend Reflections over FX?

Al
Wal-Mart and Pep Boys carry different selections.

Again, I was recommending products based on where you specified you wanted to purchase them, while balancing your other criteria.

If you are able to shop at Wal-Mart, you could substitute the Reflections Car Wax (sold at Pep Boys) for FX SynWax (which is sold at Wal-Mart, but not at Pep Boys) and you'll have quite similar results while sticking with the full synthetic FX line vs. using the synthetic/carnauba hybrid blend of the Reflections line.

If you wanted to use Top Coat, that increases durability by adding an additional layer of pure protection, but you'll likely have to order it online. However, you would get a similar longevity increase if you used our California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax (available at Pep Boys) as a topper, but that's also an extra step -- if you're not patient enough to use the clay bar, you won't want to do the Top Coat or pure wax. This is why I recommended the FX Spray Wax after washing as part of the drying process.

There are dozens of combinations and permutations -- each with their trade-offs. Sometimes some experimentation on your part will be required to establish which products you like to use and often enough so you maintain a shiny ride that makes you smile.

Old 04-23-2007

Gentlemen.
I'll tell you what never ceases to amaze me.
I used to look at cars that were highly polished and think to myself, 'Man I'd just love my car to look that good.' The thing that nagged at the back of my mind was that little guy on my shoulder saying, 'Man, that is one huge amount of work, so dream on.'

Then, I actually bit down on the bullet, followed all the tips I found here, did that initial amount of work, and now, having done that work, which incidentally was not as much as that little guy on my shoulder warned me of, I find that keeping it looking that way amounts to less time than I ever thought possible.

This is the secret.

Do that 'first time' full work up, and then smile ever after when your friends say, Man I wish my car looked that good. You must spend hours every week to have it look that good.

(That little guy's found someone else's shoulder now. I'm his lost cause.)

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 04-23-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin
Wal-Mart and Pep Boys carry different selections.

Again, I was recommending products based on where you specified you wanted to purchase them, while balancing your other criteria.

If you are able to shop at Wal-Mart, you could substitute the Reflections Car Wax (sold at Pep Boys) for FX SynWax (which is sold at Wal-Mart, but not at Pep Boys) and you'll have quite similar results while sticking with the full synthetic FX line vs. using the synthetic/carnauba hybrid blend of the Reflections line.

If you wanted to use Top Coat, that increases durability by adding an additional layer of pure protection, but you'll likely have to order it online. However, you would get a similar longevity increase if you used our California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax (available at Pep Boys) as a topper, but that's also an extra step -- if you're not patient enough to use the clay bar, you won't want to do the Top Coat or pure wax. This is why I recommended the FX Spray Wax after washing as part of the drying process.

There are dozens of combinations and permutations -- each with their trade-offs. Sometimes some experimentation on your part will be required to establish which products you like to use and often enough so you maintain a shiny ride that makes you smile.

Thanks. Is one better than another if applied accidentally to black trim. I read somewhere that vegetable oil can remove it but I gave up on my last vehicle.
Old 04-23-2007

Sometimes, with too much information, some of it tends to be overlooked.

Our friend at Admin mentioned earlier that before starting, use a Mothers product called Back to Black to dress the trim prior to starting with the polishing/waxing product.

In the search facility on the greyish line above, just below the blue heading, type in Back to Black and have a look at these threads/Posts regarding how best to proceed with that.
Correctly used, the problem of getting the product onto your black trim now becomes less of a problem.

Tony.

Old 04-23-2007

Not sure about the new Reflections, but the old version didn't stain trim, nor does FX.

(But to be safe, apply a dressing before polishing/waxing as Admin said.)
Old 04-24-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama's Boy
Not sure about the new Reflections, but the old version didn't stain trim, nor does FX.

(But to be safe, apply a dressing before polishing/waxing as Admin said.)
Is that the protectant that was mentioned earlier or the Back to Black?

Please realize my prior experience with "detailing" was NuFinish so I did not know any better...It caused hazing and whitened plastics so it turned me off so I gave up on my last vehicle.

Al
Old 04-24-2007
Mothers® Polish

You can use either Protectant or Back-to-Black.

Back-to-Black also has cleaners in it to remove oxidation from the trim pieces.
Old 04-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnot
Is that the protectant that was mentioned earlier or the Back to Black?

Please realize my prior experience with "detailing" was NuFinish so I did not know any better...It caused hazing and whitened plastics so it turned me off so I gave up on my last vehicle.

Al
I used that for a while because my grandpa recommended it to me. It was a pain on black trim, but as far as the look of the car and the protection it gave for a single step, it was a good product. That being said even though I've gotten a short lifespan out of the Mother's carnauba cake wax because of the weather here lately, I'd much rather use it because the finish is a lot more glassy when used alongside Sealer & Glaze.
Old 04-27-2007

I think I am going to try Mothers Reflections first.

I have spent a lot of research at various forums and it seems to be viewed better using my criteria than other OTC type (NXT,EagleOne,BM,TW, etc) that are commonly available without resorting to the boutique types.

It was hard doing research...first, try searching for the word reflections in any detailing forum (zillion false hits) and most search engines will not allow "fx" due to word length (2 letters). Food for thought....

My new car is still beading from the initial detailing by the dealer (about 3 wks) so I will wait a little longer.

Al
Old 04-27-2007

...and I bought some MF towels. How many do you think it would take to remove the Reflections wax from a mid-size car (Lincoln MKZ -- same size as Ford Fusion).

I may try the topper wax on the front/hood as an experiment to help make it easier to clean off bugs.

I also have a 97 Dodge Dakota 4x4 black (only 60Kmiles!) that I am getting repainted (strip to metal and complete repaint). The body shop said they were not going to remove the windshield since it would likely break. The trim (soft rubber) around the windshield is bad shape. I assume Back to Black will bring it back but I must reapply to maintain black look. Correct?

Al
Old 04-27-2007
Administrator

It's good to plan on at least one or two microfibers per product for removal. They can be shaken out periodically.

It's great to experiment, but it would be best to use Top Coat on all top surfaces for added protection -- remember that they get sun all day long.

Back-to-Black can help restore oxidized, faded and sun-damaged rubber trim of all colors, but a good cleaning first can often help it work better. A few applications may be needed to get the material looking rich again, but it does have its limits and you'll need to re-apply periodically to maintain it.
Old 04-28-2007

I'm going to try some new stuff, probably Reflections and Top Coat to see if I can get some longer life out of a wax. It's already starting to get warm here and between that and the rain and the heavy dust storms, wax isn't lasting too long here. With it wearing out so fast, I'd hate to see what the dust storms sandblasting my car would do without any wax on it.
Old 05-14-2007

I have anotherl question about Reflections.

When it dries, does it leave a haze and how far ahead can I work? That is, do I do one section at a time (apply wax, remove) or can I wax the roof and then wax the hood and then go back again remove from roof.

You can never fit all the instructions on the back of a bottle !

Al
Old 05-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnot View Post
I have anotherl question about Reflections.

When it dries, does it leave a haze and how far ahead can I work? That is, do I do one section at a time (apply wax, remove) or can I wax the roof and then wax the hood and then go back again remove from roof.

You can never fit all the instructions on the back of a bottle !

Al
I think you'll be very happy with Reflections as a one-step product or as one of many products in a multi-step system. I have used it both ways.

But I primarily use Reflections on my Midnight Blue Metallic GTO after using PowerPolish and am very happy with the results. I'll put my Mother'd up GTO up against anybody's daily driver that's used any of the "boutique" products.

Your drying time will vary depending upon where you live and what the weather is like on the day you're doing the work.

When I did all of my work by hand I would apply the product on the roof first. By the time I finished applying the final side of the roof, the first side of the roof was ready for removal. Then I'd apply the left side of the hood and remove it followed by the right side of the hood and remove it. Then the trunk, the front fenders, door, etc.

'15 Dodge Challenger SRT - B5 Blue
'17 Dodge Durango R/T - Granite Crystal
Old 05-14-2007

So, Wizard Of Iz

Sometimes, my good lady wife comes into the room,
(usually with a coffee) while I'm sitting in front of the computer, and says, 'you lazy so and so. Here you are spending all your time telling other people how to look after their cars, and you're neglecting our car.'

I guess I am a little guilty of being lazy at times.

Sometimes, even my eyeballs get lazy, and I only read what I want to actually see, and don't look at the whole picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard Of Iz

'99 Grand Prix GTP - Black
'05 GTO - Midnight Blue Metallic

(and now........wait for it.......)

'07 Charger R/T - Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl

I suppose a 'Charity Car Wash' might be, er, out of the question. Also, I suppose it drives a little better than the Grand Cherokee too.

Back in the 60's, Chrysler was a minor player here in Australia, and in an effort to compete with Holden and the Ford Falcon, they introduced the ubiquitous Valiant, and the Valiants lasted for not much more than 15 years. To compete against the Falcon GT's and Monaro's they introduced the Valiant Charger, which was a scaled down version of the toe US models, the Dodge Challenger and the Dodge Charger R/T (made famous as the chased car in Bullitt)
This picture shows the 1972 Australian Valiant Charger R/T, with the 4.4 Litre in line Hemi 6 cylider engine with three dual throat Weber carburettors, at the time arguably the most powerful 6 cylinder car on the Planet at 302 BHP, and the thirstiest also at 10 to 13MPG. (US gallons)

This car is nowhere near as nice as your 2007 Charger. Man, you guys get all the good cars.

Tony.

Attached Images

Closed Thread
 Page 1 of 2   1   2 >