2004 Civic EX magnesium HondaMan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Last-2nd Questions Before I Do My 1st Detail

OK, looks like I`ll have all my supplies for this Saturday for my 1st detailing job (please rain...please rain...please rain...lol).

Just a couple of last-2nd questions on my mind:

(1) When applying stuff by hand or by PC, is it necessary to cover vinly and rubber with masking tape? I won`t be going over it directly, but yeah, maybe the pad in hand I am using or the PC`s pad goes over it or some stuff splatters. Or should I just worry about clay and abrasives, and not the final applications like Klasse AIO or my Poorboys final layer (whatever it`s called, sorry I forgot).

(2) Ditto the headlights/taillights....do you guys mask them off partially? Does it depend on what you`re using? I guess any SSR`s wouldn`t be good for them, but would a little wax or final coating be fatal?

(3) Any thoughts on that Rain-X product I used years ago? Still OK -- I want something quick and simple for the windows, otherwise I`ll just wash it only.

(4) I`m using Microfiber pads on the car itself and will use PVA sponges on my wheels (at least until 1 MF pad is worn down to the point where I use it for the wheels). Any problems with using the PVA on the wheels?

It`s amazing to me all the concern with using stuff -- MF, PVA, towels, etc -- that won`t scratch. Heck, when I had a Corvette in the late 1980`s the only thing I worried about then was not using Brillo or something like that (lol). Anything else was deemed OK; dirty and worn-out sponges would be used on the wheels, new ones strictly for the body. That was all you needed to keep straight in your mind. I used to get wax over the edges of the rubber and lights all the time and never noticed any damage. But maybe I was just lucky -- or not particularly attentive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Masking the trim couldn`t hurt. Also, it could make the clean up time a lot quicker. You won`t have to get wax out of crevices with a toothbrush or toothpick. As far as Rain-X goes, some poeple like it some don`t. I personally find that it streaks in rain. I would just wash the windows and keep them polished with something like PPP. If you are that worried about visibility in rain, you could just keep new wiper blades on the car about once a year. Good luck on your first big detail!!
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, just mask off whatever you don`t want polish to touch. As for Rain X, Aquapel is suppposed to be superior, but when I used Rain X I found applying it first to the windshield first right after cleaning it, before the whole car was due for a wash, and then washing the entire car helped make it haze and streak free.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont mask off and have had no problems with PB products (they dont stain). I use EX-P on my windows. As a matter of fact, at PB Detailking Day, some of the guys asked me what I used on my windows and head.tail lights and couldnt believe it when I told them EX-P. Works great on the windows Front/side/back!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!

Really? I think I have some EX-P coming this week....nice to know SOMTHING can go on more than 1 surface....I think if I bought every item for every different interior and exterior surface, I`d have 200 items in the garage!

Post Thanks / Like
    I you`re using Klasse AIO and a Poorboys sealant, I wouldn`t bother masking the trim. It won`t hurt, but it`s unneccessary in my opinion. Neither one will stain your trim, and unless you`re very sloppy with your applications, cleanup should be minimal. You are right about the abrasive polishes, you definately want to tape everything off when using them. I also use EX-P on my glass, it works great and last a long time. Good luck with your detail.
    I love the smell of EX-P in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey I have a question? I see only Dalton said anything about waxing headlights and taillights. I buff all the taillights and some headlights I do with a rotary while I`m going around the car, with a polish not a heavy compound. Mainly on the taillights. Most of the headlights have those nubs on them and I really don`t want to fight with them but if they don`t have them they really shine up great with some polish. Alot of my customers can`t believe the results I get. i`ll even do those clear license plate covers also, it works great when they get faded out from the sun.

Just my 2 cents,
    Chubs

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious....what is the time stamp on our posts linked to? I think it`s fast.

Edited: It looks like it`s 5 hours fast....is that GMT? Maybe we can set it to Eastern Standard and Daylight Times???

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by HondaMan
    Curious....what is the time stamp on our posts linked to? I think it`s fast.

Edited: It looks like it`s 5 hours fast....is that GMT? Maybe we can set it to Eastern Standard and Daylight Times???
    You can set your own preferred time zone. Just go to the User Control Panel and Edit Options.

Thread Information