Post Thanks / Like

PArt Time Detailing

Hey Guys

Being that I`m able to do this only part-time right now. Would working evenings and weekends be worth the effort. Is the business out there for those kind of hours.

Help would be grateful.

Thanks again for all your help.

Great Site

Jayhawk fan.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I am not new to detailing but I am new to this forum. I thought I would reply anyway.

I have been part-time detailing for awhile now. I have enough business to do it more but I cant devote all my time right now.

I think it all depends on the market you live in and the kind of work you want to do. If you want private work you need a decent sized town and you need to beat the competition. If your in a smaller community you might have to target the dealerships and auctions.

I have noticed that if your good and really put out superior work people will come to you. Even if your in a smaller town. I do feel though you might need to keep your options open at first. I mean you might not get all the cherry jobs at first. You might have to settle for fleet and dealerships to get started but then in time build up a customer base for the private work.

Good Luck,
    John

Looking for 22% Discount TheCompleteLook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Erik,
    Welcome to DC. I think you can definitely start your business with the hours you proposed. You have to keep your sales angle along that timeframe. Look for private parties, not businesses. Most people have their cars available at night and on weekends. The only obstacle you will come across is light. You need to be able to see the paint very well to do a good job. Maybe a garage with some good flourescent lighting would work.
    Good luck, and go get some business - don`t let anything stop you.
    Rob
    www.thecompletelook.net

Strange name, ain't it? NattyBumppo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with John Sharp. Definetly a market (at least in my neck of the woods). I`ve been doing fee based detailing for about a year. I do no advertising at all and yet am able to keep as busy as I want to be (except for the nasty winter we just had). Do an exceptional job and people will want to go to you regardless. Once word gets out that your work is second to none they`ll make your schedule work for them. At least that`s what I`ve seen.

I do all my work on weekends or every other friday (I have two fridays off every month) and make it well known that I only detail by appointment and I never do more than one vehicle a day. That`s how I want it. I`ve found people like knowing that I`m focusing on just their car and not trying to get done with it right away so I can move onto the next one. Also, don`t try to be the least expensive guy in town. Oddly enough, often times people become skeptical if your prices seem too low. Do a great job, ask a fair price (maybe charge a little more and bill it as premium, by appointment detailing) and you`ll be busy.

Sure, I love doing it and the extra cash is great but I still want to have tome for myself (fishing is #1) and of course, my family. Thus far I`ve been very happy with how things have turned out.

Good luck!

Natty
    Natty
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry Miss, I just decided I don`t do mini-vans"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Natty

Man you what I`m saying. Seems like you and I have some things in common, like fishing and family. Thanks for the great input, I really do appreciate it.

Talk to llater

Thread Information