Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sweet BMW

Post Thanks / Like
    Brandon,
    That Bimmer looks better than showroom! You got mad buffer skills man. Nice work and good looking truck too,

Matt

I'm just a man.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks amazing! I`m with natty also on the 3m PI III MG. I`ve found it`s mostly heat or dirt issues. When using this on a non clean or smoth surface ie, not alreay compounded. It will tend to stick. I`ve also noticed on a hot car the solvents evaporate rather quickly and it just dries too fast too work properly. The qd does seem to take care of this issue with ease though.
    The Koop Is BIZZZAAAK

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by NattyBumppo
    Holy moly those before pics were downright scary! Whoever was responsible for those holograms and swirls shold be banned from detailing forever!
    He bought the car used. It was about a year old when he got it and he said it looked like that. But it also hasn’t been washed properly, taken to Gas Station car washes. He bought it from a Mercedes dealership too.

Nice work on the car, it looks fantastic! Gotta admire someone who can wield a rotary with a compound AND wool pad and get a finished product looking like that. I`pm still scared to death of wool as I`ve had mixed success.
    Thanks!!! When I started detailing about 2 1/2 years ago (I was 16 at the time) the company that I get most of my supplies from taught me how to detail. The first thing I worked with was a rotary. I have been using one for the longest time but now that I have my DA Polisher I have been using it a lot but I cant get the same results on bad cars without the rotary so I am very glad that’s what I started out with. I too was scared to use a rotary, wool pad and compound on any car till about 2 months ago I found out by experimenting that I cant get all the swirls out (remove not fill) without doing that. I feel that the right polish after the compounding is important after doing a heavy cut like that.

As for the PI-III Machine Glaze....I use it and like it very much. I have had a couple occassions were it was tough to buff off...the "caking" you mentioned. When I use PI-III MG now I always keep a bottle of Meg`s QD or Mother`s SHowtime with me as a quick spritz of either of those allows the caked glaze to wipe right off. I`m not quite sure why that happens....what I did or didn`t do. Sometimes I have the problem, sometimes I don`t. If I were to guess it could be using too much product and not working it long enough. I also have a sneaky feeling temperature/sunlight has a part in it. Everytime I`ve used PI-III MG indoors I haven`t had a problem.
    I feel that the Machine Glaze is the best to use when using the Rubbing Compound and wool pad. 3Ms Perfect It III is an awesome system. I called 3M today to ask about the Machine Glaze caking up and I was told it most likely has to do with the heat and humidity. When I did the BMW the high was about 102 and that’s about the time I used the Machine Glaze. I followed the directions on the bottle (right pad and speed). He said to make sure to do 2`x2` sections which I did and spraying it down with a little water will help, which I have done before and it does help.

Great work on the beemer!!!! I love the reflection pic with your truck.
    Thanks again
    Elite Mobile Detailing - Formally SacMotorsports
    www.elitedetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 02Silverado

Originally posted by Clean Dean
    Absolutely incredible results !!! This thread could be put into the "Detailing Hall of Fame". I cringe when I see those swirls in newer black car finishes !!!
    WOW!!! Thanks a lot It did come out very nice.
    www.elitedetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Fr0zen
    can this stuff be used with the a Regular Yellow cutting pad with a rotary or is it best to use a Wool pad. ?

Is this the stuff you used. ?

http://www.premiumautocare.com/3mperitiiico.html

I was thinking I can use that Stuff in this order

3M PI-III Rubbing Compounds- Cutting Pad
    Meguiars DACP- With Polshing Pad
    Meguiars Swirl Free Polish - Finishing Pad

Would that be a good order for removeing heavy swirls and buffer marks. ?
    I would say it is best to use a wool pad. I have used foam pads before and I do not get the same results I get with the wool pad.

This is the rubbing compound I used. It is actually Part of Perfect It II. The Perfect It III Rubbing Compound is probably very similar and better. I get the quart size, not gallon.
    http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html

Then I used this...

If you are going to use the PI III Compound then I would do the Machine Glaze after for sure. Then what ever you what after that.

I then just got an even heavier compound that I will probably have to use on his Navigator.

I will probably get banned for this but those 3M prices are a little high. I could get the products and ship them out for less then that.
    www.elitedetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Anthony, 95YJWRANGLER and Koop-

Thank you!
    www.elitedetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

3M PIII Machine Glaze

HI,

Ive found that when using 3M PIII Machine Glaze when I apply to much product or when I dont work the product straight away ( ie, doing a large pannels and leaving the glaze unattended on the pannel) it tends to cake up. I Find I need to clean my pad frequently and if caking occurs I mist either water or Qd on the area and go over it again. The heat would of also helped to.

I also like to start a detail with a woolen pad. I find it difficult to get the surface perfect without it.

Hope it helps.
    Antonio

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3M PIII Machine Glaze

Originally posted by Mizzuri
    HI,

Ive found that when using 3M PIII Machine Glaze when I apply to much product or when I dont work the product straight away ( ie, doing a large pannels and leaving the glaze unattended on the pannel) it tends to cake up. I Find I need to clean my pad frequently and if caking occurs I mist either water or Qd on the area and go over it again. The heat would of also helped to.

I also like to start a detail with a woolen pad. I find it difficult to get the surface perfect without it.

Hope it helps.
    Antonio
    Yeah, I have 2 3M polishing pads so I clean them out a lot now when using the Machine Glaze and it seems to help a lot.

I agree, you get the cleanest surface with wool.
    www.elitedetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the 3M compound with a wool cutting pad and I love what it can do for the finish.

For caking what I have done is wipe the pap down with a towel after every use to keep the buildup sown and use a spray bottle with water. It keeps the caking down I use spary and wipe to remove the resdue that is left after the first pass.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s nice work 02.

I guess that Mercedes dealer doesn`t have a detailer. Hard to believe they would let a car in that condition off of their lot.
    Ringo

Post Thanks / Like
    awesome job, really impressive.

Just wondering why you used a joy or dawn wash, just a thought but it seems a little unnecessary to do this when you are just going to use a compound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Thomasfl
    awesome job, really impressive.

Just wondering why you used a joy or dawn wash, just a thought but it seems a little unnecessary to do this when you are just going to use a compound.
    I use joy and clay the car at the same time. I use the soap as a lub for the clay. I probably dont have to use clay when I am going to compound but I like to make sure I get everything off the paint. I will have some pictures of my Dads new (new to him) black bmw, all I will say is that I have spent about 15 hours on it.
    www.elitedetails.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information