Post Thanks / Like

Layering Products??????

I`ve been reading about some here that layer EX, paste wax and other products. Zaino is about the worse for this.

I have layer a few times but really have never really seen any difference.

Anyone else feel this way or does applying 3x 4x really make a difference or give a wetter look
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I do think 2 "layers" is best just because you get more uniform coverage. I think that after that all you are doing is refreshing what is already there, BUT, some people swear by "layering" and if you check Jeff2417 pics he layers ALOT and on his car I "think" you can tell the difference :dunno

Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to layer sealants for a few reasons. First and foremost is durability. Layering a polymer or acryllic sealant increases the longevity. Secondly is to provide uniform coverage as Eric stated. Most synthetic sealants need to be applied in ultra thin coats. Sometimes (especially with Klasse SG) it is difficult to even see where it has been applied. Sounds weird but that is the best way to apply it. So a second layer will assure me that I didn`t miss anything. As for appearance, I "think" I can see more depth and definately more reflection when layering SG. I just put three layers of EX-P on my black truck and I could definately see more warmth and depth with each layer resulting in a more "carnauba" look. This was my first time using EX-P and I kinda expected the same look as Klasse but it`s not! Much more warm and deep (like a carnauba) and not as reflective. I also think it`s a bit easier to work with than the SG. I really like both products a lot. I`ll see how the durability of the EX-P rates as time goes by. I`m going to put a topper coat of natty`s on there in a few days and see what that looks like too. I`m sure it`ll be bomb. Just my opinion.
    I love the smell of EX-P in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never gave thought to two coats of sealant to get it even. I think anything after that is over kill. HOwever I live in a state that has yewar round mild weather. THe guys in snow and heavy rain states might benfit from layering sealnt for extra long protetion

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that two layers allows for even coverage, three just pleases me. I enjoy the process.

Typically I do two thin coats, wait 24 hours and apply the third(when time allows of course).

As far as applying 30 coats in one day, IMO it does nothing but waste product. I could be wrong though.

I think it is funny when people do something like SSR1, UPP, EX, EX-P, Natty`s, s100, #16. Seems to me that you would have been much better off investing your time and products in PREP. Prep is 95% of the total look anyway. Just my opinion.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    I gotta agree with ya on that EBP. It`s mainly in the prep. The sealants just glorify all the prep work.[B]

Post Thanks / Like
    heh, thats the same thing that i was told, both in tennis and in detailing.... Preperation is key. hey EBP, thats a lot of waxes and sealents.. EX EX-P Natty`s s1000 #16. that seems to be doulbe overkill for me...
    The best comment of my life.......

"Just because something is on sale, doesn`t mean that you have to buy it. " awd330

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that prep is 100% of what the end result will be. I take more time to clean the car during the wash stages than anything else.

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

The Whaler Loves Detail City rabbi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn`t prep everything up to and including the cleaner/polish?
    "I`m staying out of it."

Post Thanks / Like
    I layer synthetics to get more even coverage, but I cannot detect any significant increase in depth or shine from multiple layers, especially more than 2 layers. I did notice that putting on two layers of PS did make some difference, but maybe carnubas are different.

Thread Information