Thread: streaking

ShineTyme Detailing
    Post Thanks / Like

streaking

it seems like when i apply a wax onto a black car there is very minimal sings of streaking when i look at the paint at odd angles, like where i applied the wax thicker, the paint is darker, and where i applied it thin, the paint is lighter, I am doing this by hand so its it obviously not exactly even all the way, and i have used megs gold class, and nxt, any suggestions would be appreciated.
    ( it seems to clear up with a little QD)

Post Thanks / Like
    explained very well!

I have the same problem!

I aplied using a PC (speed approx 4-4.5) with a finnishing pad! Here was my process!

SSR 1
    PP

as a side not...This was only my second time using a PC, and my car came out absolutly beautiful minus this streaking and the light swirling that i still have! I did this on saturday and the reflection off the paint is incredible!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: streaking

Originally posted by HBblazer
    like where i applied the wax thicker, the paint is darker, and where i applied it thin, the paint is lighter, I am doing this by hand so its it obviously not exactly even all the way,
    ( it seems to clear up with a little QD)
    I think you hit on the answer. It is almost impossible to get even and complete coverage with one coat of wax. Especially when applying by hand. And, when using a product that has to dry before wiping off.
    My thought would be to wait 24 hours and apply another coat and see if that helps.
    Make sure to use a clean quality micro-fiber towel to wipe off as well.
    NXT is one product that looks better and more even 24 hours after application and it looks even more killer with 2 coats.
    Just my .02

Post Thanks / Like
    IME, #26 is notorious for streaking upon intial removal, but will settle after 24 hours. I believe it is becasue it makes the paint so dark, if you apply it too heavily to one area it will make that area darker. I like to apply two thin coats, wait 24 hours, then QD with showtime. The QD really makes the wax streak free.

With a sealant I find that usually humidity is a factor. I will usually double the recommended set up time when it is humid.

As with any wax or sealant using too much can always cause streaking.

Did any of that make sense?
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    I was having trouble last weekend on three different cars. I am pretty sure that the high humidity in Michigan was a factor. We now have an air conditioner in the garage. That should make everything better. With high humidity even polishes are a pain cause they don`t break down as easily. I also think we are going to start applying our paste waxes by machine and not hand. I think this will give a better even coat rather than having areas of heavy spots. I guess we are just going to use a paint stick or putty knife to put the product on the pad and then go to town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by EBPcivicsi
    Did any of that make sense?
    For the most part yes!

I did this last weekend. And it was beautiful in New Jersey the Humidity was fairly low.

As for appling too much product. I think im still trying to figure out how much of each product to use! (It would almost be cool if they made a controled dispensing top to only dispense the proper amount of product to cover a given area.

And Yes I let it settle down for actually 48 hrs. I went over the car with S&W and it was fine... you could still see it in some areas but I just wiped those areas down again and it came out great!

Chadwick's Auto Detailing membim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the wonderful world of black cars and high humidity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there any specific combinations that tend to work better on black? Also is there any specific combinations that work better w/ different auto manufactures?

Ie: I own a 2000 Ford Mustang GT Convertible. Black exterior w/ dark graphite grey interior....

Does one product tend to work better on Fords than other cars?

Does that make sense?

Thread Information