Thread: Swirl Marks!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Swirl Marks!

I have a `02 Tahoe LT that is black and Yes it shows swirl marks!!!....I bought a makita variable speed buffer last year and i have been practicing on a couple other of my older cars and and so far i am using a compounding foam pad to apply 3M machine glaze. and i have tried some others, but nothing seems to get the spider webs out in a certain light!...Do i need to wet sand it with 2000 girt sand paper and the buff??...Also what speeds should i buff at on the Makita?

Post Thanks / Like
    :wait :wait :wait

Chances are if you are just using a Compounding pad you are taking care of the inital problem but need to follow up with some other procedures!

1. After using any kind of heavy abrasive w/ a compunding pad espessially on black!! you need to follow up with either a polishing pad and a less abrassive product (most likely a polish) this should help with your problems!

You may want to wait for some other responses but I am pretty sure this is your problem!

Your getting rid of your initial swirls but with using a compounding pad you need to follow up with a less abrassive pad

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good...Thanks for the response....I Didnt figure that the polish would cover anything up, just make it shine....but i buffed with the compound pad and then waited until night under a light to see if i did any good...and i did BUT it wasnt much good...Does anyone know how fast i need to apply the compound....slow, med, fast?? seems it gets dried quicker going fast since it heats up...i didnt know if that was a good thing or bad thing...dont wanna burn the paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I just used SSR 2.5 with a YELLOW Edge pad on a 98 black RAV 4 and the swirls vanished with very little effort. I used a PC 7424 on 6(full power). I was truly amazed as the paint looked brand new when I was finished.

No Woolpad Butchers Here! EZ Boy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, ease off on the compounding pads, take a lighter pad and let the product do the work . See the achives for products. The Poorboys SSR range has added depth now with the arrival of SSR2.5.

Thread Information