Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 12-03-2007

Default FX Spray Wax coated paint safe?

Friend of mine with a new Atlantic Blue Metallic E93 has decided to go for the 'coating' process known as GLARE here
as she is not a DIY detailer nor wants to trouble with paint care with pro shops on a regular basis.

Thus, I am only getting her Mothers Showtime Qucik Detailer and FX Spray Wax for furture dust
removal on the coated surface.

I would think Showtime is very safe for coated paint, and just to confirm if FX Spray is safe too?
Or else I don't want to waste her money.
(or I would still get her FX Spray only for polishing the rims)

thx

t
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0247_resize.JPG
Views:	584
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	970  
Old 12-03-2007
Administrator

Default Re: FX Spray Wax coated paint safe?

Such paint protection products are very controversial to say the least -- though in detailing enthusiast circles, they are often considered a rip-off because consumers are often charged hundreds of dollars for what amounts to very little. Here in the States, we've heard of anywhere from $500-$1300 being charged for this.

Effectively these programs use a sealant that is applied by the dealer (or a service that the dealer calls-in) simply for added profit, much like the extended service warranty. While there may be some peace of mind with this new-car option, part of the problem is that often times the guy installing it (applying it), doesn't have familiarity with paint preparation and can often damage the finish. Often times there will be a fabric guard for the interior -- either included or optional.

With such protection programs, sometimes you do get a "no fade" guarantee -- which is pretty much redundant with the factory paint guarantee.

And generally they still require you to use their rejuvenator -- it's not wax, mind you, so their sales pitch still applies that you never have to wax again.

Without using the rejuvenator, over time, you'll see that the paint eventually will need a traditional polishing and waxing.

Take a look at the fine print and you'll likely see it doesn't add up.

In short, go ahead and use any car care product you like. If she wants to continue with the program and likes the way it looks, that's fine too, but any other product shouldn't conflict with it.
Old 12-04-2007

In the end these dealer applied paint sealants are essentially paint protection insurance. How often do you see paint failure that would not be covered by a normal mfg warranty? I will ignore the period when Detroit had a lot of bad paint.

They also seem to add restrictions on owner actions. For example, if you got a scratch and used a scratch remover this could invalidate your warranty in one case I saw. It also said you could not use waxes with any cleaners.

If these products are so good (5 years with no mention of rejuvenator), you would think they would be more durable if they can handle bird droppings, acid rain, tree sap, etc for car care products.

When I purchased my last new car, I was offered Simoniz by the business manager (the guy with the starched shirt) who makes you sign all the papers and also tries to sell you an extended warranty. I declined and mentioned it to the salesman and said I would be wasting my money.
Old 12-04-2007

The Glare, or any other system will not cut it.

If she wants the vehicle to continue to look nice, either she is going to have to take care of it, or she is going to have to pay someone to take care of it for her.
Old 12-04-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detail Guy View Post
The Glare, or any other system will not cut it.

If she wants the vehicle to continue to look nice, either she is going to have to take care of it, or she is going to have to pay someone to take care of it for her.
I agree. You will have to maintain any finish for it to continue looking nice in the future.

If it sounds too good to be true, than it probably is.
Old 12-04-2007

Keeping those wheels looking nice will be a full time job on it's own.
Old 12-04-2007

Its not hard to take care of a car that color with FX spray, Showtime, cleaner wax, FX,and clay. Somethimes its easier to wax a car then to wash a car.
Old 12-04-2007

CNTLAW
I would tend to agree with those people who have commented here. I would also urge that you might discuss with the young lady concerned some of the processes involved.
Before doing that however, I would direct you to the GLARE website, and I would like you to sit down and just read as much as you can there. What that might show you is that even though you might be told that there is no 'renewals' needed during the five year guarantee period, they still recommend that you use their Company's products during that time to keep the process pristine. So. either way, application of a product, be it theirs or Mothers would still be required to keep it looking pristine.
So far five people have commented, and all have urged caution and indicated pitfalls of some sort or another.
Larry mentioned something that you are now aware of yourself about car care. The first couple of times, it might seem to be a lot of work, but after that, the job becomes decidely easier because you know what you're doing, you are confident when doing the work, and having done that original process, it then only becomes routine maintenance.
As Larry might mention,to correctly wash the car takes time in itself, and I'd like to just mention the wash part specifically. The impression is, and this can be a false impression, that if this protection is installed, the the owner rightfully believes that the paint is protected..........absolutely........ if you see what I mean here. They actually have the 'false' idea that nothing is needed beacuse the paint is encased within a shield, sort of like a force field, if you see the point I'm trying to make here. So, there is the 'impression' of protection. Your friend will then trust the protection, and just drive the car through the car wash every so often. Caution her that after a couple of times through the car wash, no matter how good the protection, it will gradually degrade.
Al mentions that the fine print then excludes the use of any products, so even were you to use Mothers products or any other products not specifically from the Company concerned, then that would give them cause to deny any claim I would feel sure.
Now having said all this, argument might be still be made one way or another.
The clincher for me is what Detail Guy mentions.
Look at those wheels/rims whatever you call them.
You know what Euro's are like for brake dust no matter from which Car Company. Brake dust is more of a problem on these than most other cars. Whichever way it goes your lady friend will be spending an inordinate amount of time cleaning baked on brake dust from the spokes here.

Having said all this, Try and get her to take a day out with you while you clean your car and have her just watch and ask questions. Show her just how easy it really is to keep such a beautiful looking car in spectacular looking condition. Just one look at your black Beemer would convince most people.
If she's willing to have such a lovely looking car, it's not much work to keep it looking like that.
Also, sit down with her in front of a computer and just read the information at the Glare site. There's a lot, and it might look to be overwhelming, and there's even some stuff there that might even give you cause to smile.

As Bama says so eloquently
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama
If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 12-05-2007

My initial thoughts recommending Glare to my friend is to avoid the hassle of visiting inconsistent service quality local pro shops here.

There are a few large companies here running chained waxing pro shops mostly they are located in indoor public car parks. Customers are always being hard-sold to pay an one-off amount for buy a membership. A membership costed ~Usd500-700 allows the customer to enjoy a number of waxings and car washings per year. Once a membership is paid for, the customer can visit any 'branch' for express waxing/carwash service. So it will be a different guy doing the waxing, thus inconistent quality. Some wax service are crowded especially at weekend, so they also keep the customer's car for 3-5 hours for doing a 1.5 hour express waxing though they claimed that they will do three layers for the first time subscribed.

Personally, I was never impressed by the express wax service mainly from my experience the shine of the car had never sustained for more than 3 days after each waxing. However, most car owners here tend to like them because the convenient locations.

Yes, Tony is right. The owner will take it for granted and a false impression about a coated car. They expect they will never need to wax the car but can wash with just soap and water without following any proper processes. I think they always thought a coated paint car should be free from swirls and spider web too!

Thanks guys for all the valuable information about paint coating. All the points are truly valid and I will communicate them to my friend for her final decision.

She has already booked the Glare service this Friday.
I think she will still want to use the express car wash service even without the waxing option regardless she has a coated car or not.

t
Old 12-05-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntlaw View Post
My initial thoughts recommending Glare to my friend is to avoid the hassle of visiting inconsistent service quality local pro shops here.

There are a few large companies here running chained waxing pro shops mostly they are located in indoor public car parks. Customers are always being hard-sold to pay an one-off amount for buy a membership. A membership costed ~Usd500-700 allows the customer to enjoy a number of waxings and car washings per year. Once a membership is paid for, the customer can visit any 'branch' for express waxing/carwash service. So it will be a different guy doing the waxing, thus inconistent quality. Some wax service are crowded especially at weekend, so they also keep the customer's car for 3-5 hours for doing a 1.5 hour express waxing though they claimed that they will do three layers for the first time subscribed.

Personally, I was never impressed by the express wax service mainly from my experience the shine of the car had never sustained for more than 3 days after each waxing. However, most car owners here tend to like them because the convenient locations.

Yes, Tony is right. The owner will take it for granted and a false impression about a coated car. They expect they will never need to wax the car but can wash with just soap and water without following any proper processes. I think they always thought a coated paint car should be free from swirls and spider web too!

Thanks guys for all the valuable information about paint coating. All the points are truly valid and I will communicate them to my friend for her final decision.

She has already booked the Glare service this Friday.
I think she will still want to use the express car wash service even without the waxing option regardless she has a coated car or not.

t
Good luck. As admin said, the people applying stuff may not be any better at applying as anyone else. You often hear horror stories about dealers that swirl up paint finishes when prepping for new car delivery because many just take them down to a car wash place for detailing. Dealers outsource this kind of work whether it is performed on premise or remotely.