Thread: Newb question.

Post Thanks / Like

Newb question.

Hi, I`m new to the forum. I went throuhg and read a good deal of post prior to posting to try to gain some knowledge. I`ve always enjoyed keeping my cars clean. In the past i`ve always done everything by hand but, now i`ve decicded to take the plunge and get a Porter Cable polisher from coasttool.com. I don`t really know much about which wax to use when or in what instance to use that pad. Is there any starter kits of waxes or pads that should get being a first timer to bulid up my collection ? Do most of you use Poorboy`s products ? I have a 95 VW Jetta thats black with black leather, that will be my first victim. The car dosen`t look too bad, has swirl marks but not too bad. Recomendations are welcome as to what to get to start off. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems that your trying to move up from a hand user to a PC user.

1) What products / tools do you have now?
    2) What do you want to do with a PC?
    3) How much are you willing to spend for products?

The more you tell, the easier it will be to narrow your choices down.

No, not everyone uses Poorboy`s products, but they are EXTREMELY easy to use and its easy to get info from this board since Steve is always around and is very helpful.

Hope I could help :bye

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m going to order the PC 7424 tonight. I only have the basic hand wax in the tins. I want to get rid of the swirls in the paint and give the car a nice shine. I`ll basically spend what i need to in reason. I`ve always used a chamois (sp ?) before, i`ve read a lot on microfiber towels and the waffle drying towels. I suspect i should invest in some of these too ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found that the Poorboy`s line is very effective--for the first time PC user to the experienced professional!!

Great results at a less than expensive price!
    Nick Carberry
    ~Detailing high-end cars with quality products~

Post Thanks / Like
    I just now need to learn about the different products and their purpose and the same for pads. After a few months of being on here i hope i can get it all straight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jmunk join the chats and asks specific/browse questions, they will accelerate the learning process.
    Here is my analysis:

You seem to have waxes(which?), no sealants or abrasives. To remove swirls, you have to even out the surface. This can be best done by removing containments (clay bar usage) and using an abrasive. Here is a relative abrasive list:

SSR1-Poorboy`s Super Swirl Remover
    SMR-Swirl Mark Remover - Made by Meguiars and another by 3M
    SSR2
    DACP-Dual Action Cleaner Polish - Meguiars
    SSR3
    (The more you go, it will be a hard for a beginner, DACP is already a step to master)

The abrasive will even out the surface, ultimately taking out fine scratches / swirls. At this point you need to add some "boom" ( ) with a glaze, or go straight to a sealant to seal in the prepared surface. After, you can put your additional protection with the waxes you have.

I believe the Poorboy`s line has an extreme easy line to work with, as they are meant to be used by hand. For Meguiars, you may have to order specific polishes (among the many they have) that might be confusing and hard.

There are 3 main types of pads: Cutting, Polishing, Finishing.

Again, what are you looking for? How does the surface look like? Do you want a reflective or glossy surface?

Hope I got some of your questions answered!

Post Thanks / Like
    Poorboys products can go on either by machine or hand ? Let me see if i have the order right so far.

1. Wash
    2. Clay (is it necessary to wash after claying if your going to use like SSR?)
    3. SSR1
    4. Polish (probally poorboys)
    5. Sealant (once again how about poorboy`s EX?)

The car isn`t in bad shape like i say, it look a little dull and has fine swirl marks to it. I want a nice glossy shine. I love black cars with a nice gloss.

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Yes
    2. No need to wash after, since your polishing
    2a. I suggest ProPolish or AIO if your surface is dull, as it is either 1) oxidation 2) buffer marks
    3. Yup! (Super Swirl Remover)
    4. This is the same step as 3, so scratch this out
    5. Yes

How bad are the defects? (Swirls / dull area?) Picture?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Jmunk
    Poorboys products can go on either by machine or hand ? Let me see if i have the order right so far.

1. Wash
    2. Clay (is it necessary to wash after claying if your going to use like SSR?)
    3. SSR1
    4. Polish (probally poorboys)
    5. Sealant (once again how about poorboy`s EX?)
    My 2 cents regarding your plan -

2. I prefer to re-wash as I clay, one panel at a time.

4. If you plan to use Poorboy`s Pro Polish, put it before SSR1. If you plan to use Polish with Carnauba, put it after SSR1.

5. Poorboy`s EX goes well with dark paints. EX-P goes well with light colors and metallics.

Post Thanks / Like
    awd...I`m confused by your post here. I thought that the Pro Polish was less abrasive than the SSR 1 and consequently would be use after the SSR1 to put a finishing polish on the surface and then seal that with EX. Why do you recommend using the Pro Polish before SSR1?

I can see using Pro Polish first to see if SSR 1 would be needed to get rid of the swirl marks but if SSR1 is going to be used then it seems to me that the Pro Polish would be used after the SSR1 to further smooth/polish the surface.

Where am I mixed up here?
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JimS
    awd...I`m confused by your post here. I thought that the Pro Polish was less abrasive than the SSR 1 and consequently would be use after the SSR1 to put a finishing polish on the surface and then seal that with EX. Why do you recommend using the Pro Polish before SSR1?

I can see using Pro Polish first to see if SSR 1 would be needed to get rid of the swirl marks but if SSR1 is going to be used then it seems to me that the Pro Polish would be used after the SSR1 to further smooth/polish the surface.

Where am I mixed up here?
    You`re not mixed up. It`s really a matter of personal preference. Pro Polish can be stronger or weaker than SSR1 depending upon the method of application (pad type and duration of buffing). Pro Polish also leaves the surface very clean, but not as glossy or as slick as with SSR1. If I am going to use both products, then I prefer to have the glossier product as the latter layer. If swirls are not an issue, I would just skip the SSR1 and only use PP or PwC.

The beauty of Poorboy`s products is that they are so flexible and user friendly. It`s up to the users to determine the "best" process for themselves. If you like to use PP after SSR1, great. If you prefer to use them in reverse order, like I do, that`s fine too.

Thread Information