Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 01-17-2006

Default Professional Car Washes: Effect on Wax Longevity?

These days it's a lot more convenient for me to take my car to a car wash, rather than washing it myself. Doing that saves my back, so that I can still wax the car by hand, which I enjoy.

Here in California, we have a lot of "hand" car washes, that is, the cars are put on a traditional car wash conveyor, with soap and water showering down on the car, but typically two men then wash the car using soapy hand mitts.

I typically wash my car (dark colored metallic German paint) about every ten days to two weeks, using Instant Detailer and FX Spray Wax in between washes. The wax on my car is two coats of Carnauba wax. My car is garaged at night and in shade much of the day.

My question is: does the wax used in professional car washes tend to strip wax faster than a Mother's or Mequiar's type car wash shampoo? How many weeks or car washes should my wax job be able to sustain before it is time to wax again?

Any suggestions for making the wax job last longer? I would be willing to try the Reflections Wax, assuming it has some of the soft look of caranuaba.

Oh yes, one more thing. Does getting the "Polish Foam Wax" at the car wash aid in adding any temporary protection? While not a substitute for hand applied wax, it certainly does a lot to add shine!

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2006
Mothers® Polish

Default Re: Professional Car Washes: Effect on Wax Longevity?

The soap at those wash establishments can range from quite mild to very strong, which may strip or degrade your finish.

As well, the quality of their mitts and drying towels is always open to question.

Given my choice between having a dirty car and using a hand wash establishment, I guess I'd go with the hand wash. Remember, they buy their soap in 55 gallon drums, and their main interest is the cost, not the quality.

What all this means is I can't honestly answer your question about if their soap possibly could strip your wax. To be safe, though, using a spray wax like the FX Spray Wax would certainly help.

To make a wax last longer, washing on a regular (1-2 times a week) basis, and using a spray wax frequently can help.

The "polish foam wax" won't do much to provide protection. These "cheater waxes" are usually just a product made to shine for a few days. I'd save my money for quality products to apply myself.
Old 01-17-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest T.

To make a wax last longer, washing on a regular (1-2 times a week) basis, and using a spray wax frequently can help.
Thanks for your prompt reply and advice Forrest.

Did you mean to say 1-2 times per "week", or per month, in order to make the wax last longer?
Old 01-17-2006

He prabably meant 1-2 A week
Old 01-17-2006
Mothers® Polish

Once or twice a week - the more often you wash, the fewer contaminants get embedded, and the longer your wax will last.
Closed Thread