Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Paint Care

Paint Care Ask questions, seek advice, and share techniques about exterior paint care.

Closed Thread
 Page 1 of 2   1   2 >

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 10-20-2006

Default Spiderwebbing...inevitable????

Hi all,
I am probably sounding like a crazy fool when it comes to the question about spiderwebbing.

I finished washing my car today and in the reflection of the street lights I noticed some slight spider webbing on different areas of the car I havent noticed before. Not heavy, just very short here and there.

I guess my question is if spiderwebbing can be completely avoided?!

Since my car was fresh off the lot, I am noticing these little imperfections rightr away.

Is there truly a car out there that has been around for some time without spiderwebbing?
I am just curious to know that way I can just take the fact that there will be spiderwebbing no matter what I do. With the sealer and glaze and waxing I know this will help/cover minor paint maring.
Old 10-20-2006
Administrator

Default Re: Spiderwebbing...inevitable????

peteypob,

I can't remember if you told us about your washing and drying routine, but if you're not using the two bucket method (one for suds and one for rinse) with a sheepskin mitt, and the "pat" or "lay & drag" method of drying with a waffle-weave microfiber, you should try that.
Old 10-21-2006

With the two bucket method, are we using the same mitt or two seprate mitts?

I rinse the car with the water hose, how would rinsing it with a sheepskin mit benefit? Does the water hose have something to do with it?

I have been doing the lay and drag method with my absorber, and rinsing it as I go.

Instead of washing the whole car I am going to wash it in sections and also dry it as I go. Starting with the top first then work my way down. This way I am not rushed to dry the car before waterspots form. With this I will try drying the car with the micro-fiber towels I have.

What is this waffle-weave microfiber towel? Never heard or seen it before.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2006

when i wash i use a white 5 gallon bucket (i like to monitor the dirt) w/ a grit guard and lightly wash (no need to scrub hard) from the top to bottom one panel at a time. before i start to dry, it's a good idea to use the hose and sheet off as much water as possible so it makes drying a little easier. for drying, i use an extra-large microfiber towel, and lightly blot/dry the vehicle with hardly any pressure. note : you're going to get a few scratches here and there just about anytime you have contact with your car when washing/drying, all you can do is minimize it as much as possible!

here's a good drying product that you should look into....

Old 10-21-2006

The white bucket sounds like a good idea. Whats a grit gaurd?

I have never seen that drying towel before. I know they dont sell that ANYWHERE here in San Antonio. I will probably do a search on ebay.

I try not to apply alot of pressure when washing just a little more on the spots where these darn bugs like to find their way on my bumper.
Old 10-21-2006

Peteypob.
Gidday again.
I'll come in early here and try to offer some assistance, but I feel sure that others will respond sooner or later.

I didn't think I'd have this problem, but when I pressed store location and entered San Antonio, thinking that there was only one, in Texas, it came up with an error meassage telling me that there was a San Antonio in 6 States.

I went to the retailers tab on the menu at left of screen and you might get better results than I can because you know where you live, but Advance Auto Spares has 16 stores in San Antonio, Auto Zone has a lot more, and for some reason or other, Pep Boys site just will not show here in Australia, so I don't know if there are any in Texas at all.

However, the towel shown is Mothers Waffle weave drying towel and is pretty big at 24 inches by 20 inches. It also has a foam core in it, so that means that it soaks up water better than ordinary towels. This one is not available here in Australia, but it will be soon I'm informed.

If you cannot get it at any of those named stores, Mothers now has an Online store, also on that menu bar at Products, and is the bottom tab that says 'order online', and then go to Towels, Brushes and Accessories on that menu bar, and I feel sure that if you wished to order online, this would be a good option.

The Grit Guard is a plastic thing that sits in the bottom of your rinse bucket, and the only example I can show is at this Australian site Waxit.com.au, which you won't be able to order from, but it can be used as a guide.

http://www.waxit.com.au/proddetail.a...=GG1010&cat=27

With regard to the washing method with 2 buckets, you only need one quality lambswool mitt, although some use an older mitt as well for the lower body panels.

One bucket contains the wash soap in the water. The second bucket contains the grit guard sitting at the bottom of the bucket and just water.

Mitt in soap, wash panel, mitt in rinse bucket and rub mitt on grit guard to loosen any dirt particles. Rinse mitt. Mitt back into soap solution and repeat until car is washed. That way the soap mix stays pristine with no dirt getting into the mix.

Once finished washing, rinse the car with the hose, a thing you should have been doing during the wash itself after each panel, but this final rinse might be best with the hose end nozzle removed, a system Forrest has made us aware of. You just gently sheet the water over the panel.

Now. Drying with the above waffle weave towel, or other towel.
Spread towel across the panel, and then pat the towel to soak up the water. Do not drag the towel across the panel. Lift the towel, squeeze dry and continue with next area to be dried.
Once finished go over the car with Showtime and a MF towel or proceed with your waxing routine.

There is also a train of thought that says you can use either of the 2 spray waxes, FX, or Reflections while the car is still wet, but that is in another Thread.
If you wish to do that, Search in the above tab function.

I hope this is of some assistance to you.

(Did I get it right, Wiz)

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.

Last edited by TonyfromOz; 10-21-2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypob
Whats a grit gaurd?
you definitely need one, especially since winter is coming!

What is Grit Guard?

Grit Guard is a radial designed insert that fits in the bottom of any 3.5 to 7 gallon bucket and cleans your wash mitt, brush, towel, or other washing utensil.
The whole idea behind Grit Guard is to protect your precious painted surfaces from being scratched.
Grit Guard is a product that simply works - it separates the grit from the mitt.
Grit Guard prevents the swirl marks in your paint, caused by improper washing.
The products radial designed surface extracts particles such as dirt, grit, and grime from your wash mitt, providing a clean, scratch-free wash mitt, every time you go back to the bucket for water.
Grit Guard is not a gimmick; it is common sense ...think about it, when your mitt is in the water, the fibers are fluffed up. When you rub your mitt against Grit Guard in the water, the fluffed up fibers allow for the Grit Guard to extract the dirt, grit, and grime.
Old 10-21-2006

Thanks Tony for the great reply! Always very detailed in your knowledge!

I will take a look at the autozones and advance auto parts for that GritGaurd.
I did a search for the Mothers towel and didnt come up on any of the autoparts store inventory, not even pepboys. I will probably order online for the towel.

As far as using older wash mitt for the lower body panels are you talking about the under side of the body, or literaly the lower half of the car?

Im reading this and trying to figure out how detailed a true car wash can be!!!!!
Old 10-21-2006

Thanks imacarnut,

It makes alot of sence and not doubting the fact that those micro-spiderwebbing marks came from the use of the contaminated water with dirt floating around!
Old 10-21-2006

I feel like a detective trying to gather all this evidence to solve a pestering crime
Old 10-21-2006

[quote=peteypob]I will take a look at the autozones and advance auto parts for that GritGaurd[quote]

you'll have to buy it online, unless you have a good detail supply store who carries them. many reputable online vendors sell them...
Old 10-21-2006

yea, just looked for it and couldnt find it at the autoparts place. Ill take a look online.
Old 10-21-2006

your a saint!
Old 10-21-2006

here's some online vendors that sell the full mothers line of products! http://www.microfiber-products-onlin...ppearance.html and also here... (they carry the grit guard) http://www.detailersdream.com/

Last edited by imacarnut; 10-21-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-21-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacarnut
when i wash i use a white 5 gallon bucket (i like to monitor the dirt) w/ a grit guard and lightly wash (no need to scrub hard) from the top to bottom one panel at a time. before i start to dry, it's a good idea to use the hose and sheet off as much water as possible so it makes drying a little easier. for drying, i use an extra-large microfiber towel, and lightly blot/dry the vehicle with hardly any pressure. note : you're going to get a few scratches here and there just about anytime you have contact with your car when washing/drying, all you can do is minimize it as much as possible!

here's a good drying product that you should look into....

Definitely the sheeting rinse is a big help to cut down on drying effort, which reduces the risk of introducing spiderwebbing.

I'm actually quite impressed with the Mothers Drying towel. I also like the Wheel & Jamb towels for their small handy size to get into areas the Drying Towel can't. Usually one Drying Towel and two Wheel & Jamb towels is all I need on my 'Tour. (I have used other brands, too, which I found online and like just fine.)

I will say these Mothers towels are hard to find... I got mine at a local import shop called Super Autobacs in Garden Grove (it's a Japanese store chain's American experiment). They have just about every detailing product known to man, including the full Mothers line. I have not seen them anywhere else except for online:

Colorrite/Express Paint, Microfiber Products Online, and it seems they were quietly made available at the new Mothers Online Store -- be sure to check out their kits with the detail bag... it looks like I'm doing some Christmas shopping here!

I would certainly switch to any quality waffle weave over the Absorber, and try the bucket tips you've been given above. And if you can't find the grate online, at least be careful like I am by not letting the mitt hit the bottom of the buckets where the crud is... hang it on the edge.
Old 10-21-2006

[quote=Jim D.]Super Autobacs in Garden Grove (it's a Japanese store chain's American experiment).quote]

that's where i got my mothers stuff too (they barely just put up the display )!
Old 10-21-2006

Peteypob

Quote:
As far as using older wash mitt for the lower body panels are you talking about the under side of the body, or literaly the lower half of the car?

Im reading this and trying to figure out how detailed a true car wash can be!!!!!
Wow. All of a sudden, a whole plethora or responses, all of them helpful.

This one might have got a little lost in the number of responses.

An old mitt for the lower panels of the car, not the underneath, but just those panels below the centre line of the car, where some of the dirt might come from the front tyres.

And yes, sometimes it is a bit of a detective story chasing up just how to get the 'Process' right, and Mothers products are a big part of that process.

Tony.

"Old man look at my life, I'm a lot like you were."------Neil Young.
Old 10-22-2006

i use a leaf blower while drying to blow off as much water that will come off. then dry the left over droplets with a microfiber towel. you have to be kinda careful when using a blower though. i don't use a gas blower because they can spit oil. later
Old 10-22-2006

Quote:
With the two bucket method, are we using the same mitt or two seprate mitts?

I rinse the car with the water hose, how would rinsing it with a sheepskin mit benefit? Does the water hose have something to do with it?

I have been doing the lay and drag method with my absorber, and rinsing it as I go.

Instead of washing the whole car I am going to wash it in sections and also dry it as I go. Starting with the top first then work my way down. This way I am not rushed to dry the car before waterspots form. With this I will try drying the car with the micro-fiber towels I have.

What is this waffle-weave microfiber towel? Never heard or seen it before.

Thanks!
Looking further into your routine...

I think washing the whole car and then rinsing the whole car and then drying the whole car is better. If you can, do this early in the morning or in the evening or in the shade. Or, if you are faced with sun, suds the shaded areas before the exposed-to-sun areas, then rinse immediately and dry the exposed-to-sun areas before going back to the shaded areas.. that might work better for you.

Regular microfiber towels should be fine for drying, so long as they are fairly plush. One thing that I like to do is either use some Showtime or FX Spray Wax on my final drying step as the towel seems to glide across the paint better (though this can also depend on how much wax is on the car). Less friction equals less potential marring based on my calculations.

An electric leaf blower can be handy, but yes, you need to be careful not to blow debris around. You could also use the blower attachment on your shop vacuum, or an air compressor, but personally I find it more trouble than it's worth to bother with another piece of equipment.
Old 11-01-2006

Can someoen explain the Lay and Drag method? Is it when you lay the towel out on the panel and drag it across? Sorry, I"m a newbie, adn like to keep my truck as clean as possible!
Closed Thread
 Page 1 of 2   1   2 >