Post Thanks / Like

Question any good `value` orbital buffers?

I know most here use the pro stuff, PC, Dewalt, GEM, etc.
    But are there any decent orbitals out there that strike you as a good value for a beginner, occasional user? (Harbor Freight,Northern, Sears?)

I also have an air compressor. Are there some air powered orbitals that might be priced better with good quality.

If this is a `get what you pay for` type of product, let me know and I`ll start saving, looking at ebay, or closeouts.

thanks much.

PS just used Meg`s consumer 3 step product line (deep crystal). Turned or ok. Better than before which was the goal. But man am I soar.

Thanks much, this stuff is sort of fun.

You down with UPP?
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion buffers are a "you get what you pay for" type of tool. When I started I bought a 6" buffer from wal-mart for $25 and it had no power what so ever. If I applied the least amount of pressure it would stop spinning, therefore, it was a lesson learned that only cost me $25. Equipment can make a difference in this business, it can make your job easier and save you time as well. Good luck!

-Jason
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SquirrelMaster
    In my opinion buffers are a "you get what you pay for" type of tool. When I started I bought a 6" buffer from wal-mart for $25 and it had no power what so ever. If I applied the least amount of pressure it would stop spinning, therefore, it was a lesson learned that only cost me $25. Equipment can make a difference in this business, it can make your job easier and save you time as well. Good luck!

-Jason

You`re better off spending a little extra and getting a good machine. I was given a B&D orbital as a present before I bought my GEM orbital. It was OK, but completely useless for any serious work. If I`d have done some research before getting the GEM, I`d have bought the Porter Cable instead...it`s great machine that is good for a beginner and as you develop your skills can grow with you... Once I learned more about the Porter Cable, I realized that I had `outgrown` the GEM years ago. My skills had far surpassed the abilities of the GEM.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    I did quite a bit of searching around prior to finally biting the bullett and forking out the cash for my PC and I couldn`t find a cheap ro polisher that was worth anything. The cheap ones just don`t have any power. The PC seems like the best choice by far and even though I`m just a part time user I`m glad I got the quality tool.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Real question is do I need it

After spending days sifting through the posts on this board,
    I`ve decided to follow the AIO/UPP routine that so many find success with. It seems that these are both so easy to do by hand that a power tool isn`t necessary

The real issue is swirl removal on a car that needs it. It seems that a power tool is required if one doesn`t have the time or arm strength to do it all day by hand.

But once you remove the swirls, and you take care of it and don`t reintroduce the swirls, than is a power tool really necessary?

On the flip side as well, I have an older car that will be donated to charity soon. 91 Taurus. Blue paint that has oxidexed to a white haze. Now in order to remove the oxidation, an orbital won`t produce the heat needed to do any good, I think. So now I `d need a rotary. But once done with it, how often would I use it

Thanks all for your time.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you need it? Probably not. Like you stated, AIO/UPP is so easy by hand that a power tool isn`t needed at all.

For swirl removal, it is a great thing to have. I put off buying one for some time for the same reasons you have. Since I have used it on swirls, (mine), and bad paint, (not mine), a time or two, I can definitely see a place for it.

Once you remove the swirls, you will have more, trust me. You will use it again for swirl, scratch or blemish removal.

The old Taurus might turn out better than you think. From what I have read, Meguiar`s DACP and a PC can do a pretty fair job of bringing a finish back if there is any paint left.

Just a thought, do any rental shops have PC`s for rent? It would give people a chance to try one before they buy one.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Although I agree that many of the favorite products mentioned on this board are very easy to use by hand, the PC still lets you get some of the thinest coats that are far more evenly applied than you can do by hand.

In just the short time I`ve used the PC (compared to the GEM) I have found that with nearly all of the products, I use far less than with either the GEM or by hand.

IMO, the PC makes thing easier, wastes less product and give you the best possible look on your car with minimum effort & time spent.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like
    My limited experience indicates that perhaps you would need a rotary for this job.

If that is the case then perhaps you could rent an orbital for this one time bigger job? I do think that you can buy a relatively cheap orbital for those once or twice a year jobs that pop up but it would need to have a variable speed control. My experience is shopping was that I could save a few bucks by buying a cheap rotary but I couldn`t find a "cheap" rotary that had variable speed control and by the time I upgraded to one that did have the savings were so minimal that I decided to get the Makita and have a quality tool for life.

If you think you`d not use the rotary down the road then I think that rental may be the answer.
    Dream big and be willing to do the work to get there.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by JimS
    My limited experience indicates that perhaps you would need a rotary for this job.
    My limited experience indicates that perhaps the rotary in the hands of someone that has never used one before can be very bad news.

Don`t ask how I know this.:p

The Taurus does sound like a good project to learn on, though.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been useing a loaner DeWalt orbital over the last week. Having been a hand guy for years, here is my 2 cents.

I use less product get a thinner coating and it saves my hand big time. I can do a car with a lot less effort and get better results. Look at my thread for the 56 Buick roadmaster. I`m sold on them and look forward to buying one which I think will be a PC
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Thread Information