Mothers Wax Forum

Go Back   Wax Forum > Special Care

Special Care Headlights, rubber and plastic trim, taillight lenses, glass, convertible tops -- all your special finish needs are discussed here.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools     Search this Thread     Display Modes  
Old 02-29-2008

Default Stainless steel appliances

Here is a new question. I bought a new home and installed SS appliances. My question is what product can I use that will not streak? I have tried the wipes and a cleaner that came with the appliances. The wipes are not that bad. They streak a little. I want to try another approach. The appliances are GE from their profile line if this matters.
Old 02-29-2008
Administrator

Default Re: Stainless steel appliances

Wipes can tend to leave streaks as they can be too damp to rely on the wipe itself for drying. Following with a drying towel may solve that problem.

You may find in the care instructions an alternative method of care, which might include using a mild soap and water solution -- though it can vary by manufacturer and optional finish. Avoid harsh cleaners and abrasives on these types of stainless finishes.

You can safely use an instant detailer or a light spray wax, or pure carnauba -- all of those are non-abrasive and offer some protection from fingerprints, surface moisture and soil. Any one of those should work just fine and which you choose would be a personal preference.
Old 02-29-2008

I have a new can of pure canauba (paste) I just bought, so this is fine to use?
Old 02-29-2008
Administrator

Pure carnauba paste is perfect.
Old 02-29-2008

Thanks I will try it tonight.
Old 02-29-2008

I know this has nothing to do with Mothers products, but I highly suggest using Thor products on stainless steel. http://www.thorproducts.com/stainless.html. I have a Viking stove and this is the only brand they suggest using on their appliances/ stoves. It's not that cheap, but it doesn't streak, it's non-abrasive, and it provides a protective layer against fingerprints, dust, etc.

Admin, what would be the best option to stop water spots on a stainless steel kitchen faucet? Should I wax it?
Old 02-29-2008

I know this may be a little out of place here but since we're in the topic of waxing things at home, let me give a suggestion.

I used CCW on glass dividers in the shower. I polished them first to remove the water spots, of course. I've for the past three months I've had good beading action and no water spots whatsoever.

Bridget,

I used Mothers Pure Carnauba Wax on our faucet. Works really well and I haven't found any water spots. Just make sure the texture of the surface you're working is smooth. I waxed some rough textured metal a couple of weeks back and removal was a bit difficult.

Grabby

I wish I could just detail everyday.

Closed Thread